Interracial dating

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Interracial dating

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dave

I am a white male who dates interracially. It seems many black men who have serious issues with this are also the ones who treat black women like dirt. I am at a loss to understand how someone can treat ‘their’ women like dirt, and then get angry when someone of another race treats them well. I guess the question could go both ways: Why do some people get highly upset when they see an interracial couple?

User Detail :  

Name : Dave, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

A.W.

You’ve asked two questions. I’d like to toss a few tidbits your way, but with a disclaimer: There’s no way to address these questions in 150 words or less. I’ll answer the first here (the second is here), hitting just the highlights.

A good number of black men don’t like to see “their” women with white men because those men are in one way or another the descendents of the white men that 1) stole our ancestors from their homes and sold them into slavery, 2) raped our mothers, grandmothers and great-grandmothers and 3) built this country on our backs, etc. It’s an issue of mistrust and resentment. Racism, slavery and Jim Crow have had a powerful impact. It’s almost like “you don’t deserve to enjoy the sisters’ strength, devotion, beauty, passion (and other assets).”

User Detail :  

Name : A.W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

A.W.

The second question: Why do the men who have issues with you treat the sisters like dirt? First, your premise is not always true. More often than not, I would contend that those brothers who have issues with you do not treat “their” women like dirt, but have issues with you for the same reason I mentioned in the first message (click here).

For those brothers who do treat the sisters like dirt, those are issues I don’t even totally understand myself. Even if I can explain why they don’t care for you, I can’t legitimately explain away why they treat the sisters like dirt. It could be some protection mechanism of machismo that was perceived to be taken away (or at least threatened) by the white majority, society, who knows? I’d like to say it was a simple case of “wanting your cake and eating it, too”, but it’s really a little deeper than that.

User Detail :  

Name : A.W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.