Indians and the dots

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Indians and the dots

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

J.W.

At my job, I’ve noticed that an Indian guy wears a red dot on his forehead. He only wears it some of the time. I’ve also noticed that in public, other Indians wear this same type of dot. Is there anyone who knows what the purpose or meaning of the red dot is? I’m assuming it’s religious, but I don’t know for sure. If anyone can clear this up for me, I would like to know.

User Detail :  

Name : J.W., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Support Administrator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

AlbinosRMaggots
    Participant

You’re retarded…

User Detail :  

Name : AlbinosRMaggots, City : WhoCares, State : NA Country : United States, 

Gregory H.

According to my girlfriend, who is Indian, the dots are basically cosmetic ornaments and aren’t a religious thing. It’s akin to wearing your Sunday best.

User Detail :  

Name : Gregory H., Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Rajeev R.

In India, most women wear red dots as a cosmetic item and to enhance their beauty. However, if an Indian man is wearing red dots (actually it is a little bigger than a dot), it is religious – especially in the Hindu religion. Usually they wear it after they pray to god.

User Detail :  

Name : Rajeev R., Gender : M, Race : Asian, Religion : Hindu, Age : 31, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

N. Patel
    Participant

The ‘red dot’ is called a bindi or tika. Usually when it is red in color, it is placed on the forehead after Hindu religious prayers to god. Some people say that a long time ago, the bindi was worn by married women to distinguish them from the rest of the females. Nowadays, women wear it as a fashionable ornament (in a variety of colors and shapes) as well as for religious reasons. Also, today, the bindi can be worn by any woman, married or single. When men wear a tika, it is usually related to religion.

User Detail :  

Name : N. Patel, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Religion : Hindu, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, 

Nathan H.
    Participant

Hindus wear a tilak, also called a bindi, (a red dot by women and an elongated dot by men)on their foreheads, between the two eyes .This point is known by various names such as Ajna chakra, spiritual eye and Third eye is said to be the major nerve in human body, in ancient times. Yes bindis can just be decorative and are becoming more and more absorbed into fashion, but they still have religous and cultural significance to Indians and/or Hindus.

User Detail :  

Name : Nathan H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 16, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.