How you see yourself

Home Forums Occupation How you see yourself

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Does anyone except teachers themselves really think they’re upper middle class?

User Detail :  

Name : RobertSmissen, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 56, City : Murray Bridge, State : SC Country : Australia, Occupation : Mental health support wkr., Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Anita

I think of upper-middle class as based on income. Teachers in the US (in general) are under paid, and would be considered to be middle class (I’m talking about public school elementary and high school teachers). Perhaps the people to whom you refer think of class as an educated (or lack thereof) issue, in which case they may think of themselves above others due to their training. I think teachers are awesome!

User Detail :  

Name : Anita, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant

It’s a matter of more education, not money. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JasonS

The only “teachers” I’ve ever met who made enough money to be “upper middle class” were a relatively few professors at some pretty prestigious universities. All the others I’ve met, let alone known, fit pretty firmly in the middle class or lower middle class range, and seemed completely aware of it. Like some other responders have suggested, it may be an issue of education vs. wealth, in which case there may be a bit of self-delusion going on here. Personally, I’m comfortable with the fact that I incurred an amount of debt comparable to buying a small house to get my lower middle class brain an upper middle class education. I accept that the benefits are more than just the money that would have been required to simply go out and buy that degree for my own kids.

User Detail :  

Name : JasonS, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Bloomington, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.