How popular are dogs?

Home Forums Geography How popular are dogs?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jay31289
    Participant

I remember reading that the Indian Prime Minister was offended that Bush called his dog ‘India’. Many Americans name their dogs after their idols. Does this happen anywhere else?

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31289, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

While I cannot speak for others’ choice of dogs names, my five dogs (not all at the same time!) names have been made by family members because we all liked the name and thought it fit the dog.

User Detail :  

Name : Adrienne F., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Secular Humanist, Age : 63, City : Renton, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker/volunteer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Shandana

Here in the Indian Subcontinent including Pakistan and India, dog is an abusive word. If one gives someone’s name to his dog then it means he thinks that the person or thing has the lowest value and he wants to insult it. So its different over here and one does get offended by such things.

User Detail :  

Name : Shandana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 21, City : Abbottabad, State : NA Country : Pakistan, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Nadia
    Participant

Probably not in most other countries, based on what I’ve seen in my travels. In Muslim countries especially, dogs tend to be avoided and disliked. I remember when I was a kid, we got a dog in Indonesia and wanted to name him San-San, but we ended up naming him Ping-Pong because my mother’s friend’s nephew was named San-San and that would have been disrespectful. And he was Chinese-Indonesian, not even Muslim. Also, an epithet in Farsi (Iranian language) means ‘son of a dog’. Basically, I don’t think many other countries care for or have as much respect for animals as the US does – dogs aren’t seen as pets or companions – so likening a human being to a dog isn’t the greatest compliment in the world.

User Detail :  

Name : Nadia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Chinese-Iranian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 16, City : Bensalem, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Gina-G23845
    Participant

First of all, the President’s cat is named India, probably because she is a black cat and they were going for a play-on-words related to ‘India ink’. As for other countries, I know that dogs are very popular in England – my mom recently visited and said that she saw so many instances of people taking their dogs everywhere, especially small dogs. In India, most people to whom I’ve spoken who have a dog tend to keep it outside. And a few years ago, I lived on the same apartment block with a number of Saudi families – they thought my dog was just a dirty animal, and generally avoided touching it. (In my opinion, my dog is sweet and clean and smells like flowers.)

User Detail :  

Name : Gina-G23845, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.