How does the n-word make black people feel?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity How does the n-word make black people feel?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Alex

How do black people react when called the n-word, colored, etc.? Sometimes these terms are meant to be hurtful, but sometimes the people using them grew up in an age when they were acceptable words. Also, what term(s) do you prefer for yourself? It is so embarrassing to refer to black people in front of other blacks.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Cambridge, State : MA Country : United States, 

Carl A.
    Participant

It is sensitive of you to ask this question. Different people handle being called the n-word differently – most people I know would not be bothered by it because they realize the person using it is doing so deliberately to upset them. Of course you would not expect that from your friends or respected colleagues. What to call black people? How about African, African- American or just black. In my opinion, “black,” while not the most positive description for people of African descent, is merely descriptive (just like Caucasians are not really colored white), and most black people would not take offense at being so described. However, I think “colored” sounds wrong and seems like an insult.

User Detail :  

Name : Carl A., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Believes in God, Age : 35, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : I.T Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dennis M.

I guess my first comment would be, to whom was the n-word acceptable? The person who used it? Although I am not a black person, I would assume that being referred to as a black or an African American would be suitable. I suppose Mr. or Miss would also be acceptable.

Why is it embarrassing to refer to another black person in front of other black people? I’m sure if you let it be known that you are new to socializing with whatever ethnic group it is, that they will accept that and try to make you feel comfortable. You are a young man, and it is great that you are trying to improve yourself in the area of socializing and communicating with people of different races and ethnicity.

User Detail :  

Name : Dennis M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Japanese, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 52, City : Honolulu, State : HI Country : United States, Occupation : Construction, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.