How close do you stand to each other?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity How close do you stand to each other?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Joan F.

Do people in different areas of the world have different comfort zones (space requirements)? For example, do Spanish-speaking people invade what others might consider their personal space? As a WASP, I need to step away when this happens.

User Detail :  

Name : Joan F., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 64, City : Hoosick Falls, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : retired educator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Twiliteyes

In general, Spanish people tend to “invade” your space when conversing. But I am Spanish, and I also tend to step back when another Spanish person tries to come too close when speaking to me. I don’t like anyone coming too close to me when speaking, but that’s just me. Everyone is different, regardless of race or ethnic group.

User Detail :  

Name : Twiliteyes, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pagan, Age : 38, City : Maitland, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Recreational Director, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Maire
    Participant

Some Spanish-speaking countries are more comfortable with touching people than Americans are. Latin Americans also tend to be more friendly, make more eye contact and speak to people on the street more. I think it is cultural and never meant to be offensive. Most people would be unaware that they could be invading your personal space.

User Detail :  

Name : Maire, Gender : F, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.