Getting picked on

Home Forums General Diversity Getting picked on

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jeff B.

To people of various backgrounds: Do you ever stick up for a person being picked on, or do you just stand there and watch them keep getting picked on?

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 15, City : Syracuse, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Seamus-M28206
    Participant

Growing up I was the one who always got picked on, for being poor (which I was), for being ugly (which I wasn’t), basically for anything. Nowadays I am much larger and stronger than average, and have developed a no-tolerance for people who excessively pick on others. But when it still happens to me, no one will usually speak up on my behalf. It’s a confidence thing all the way; most don’t have the confidence to speak up when others are being picked on – they’re glad it’s not happening to them.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus-M28206, Gender : M, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Tree-Trimmer/Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

anouth

I have always had a problem with people who feel it’s necessary to pick on someone else, for whatever reason. I have always stood up for the “pickee.” Someone has to let the bully know that what he/she is doing is unacceptable. I try to reason with this person so that he/she doesn’t feel he/she is being put upon. Then there or those who refuse too see the light, and I just let him/her know that just as sure as they keep living, what goes around, comes around.

User Detail :  

Name : anouth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 43, City : Waterproof, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : tutor, Education level : Technical School, 

S.

While at school, through no fault of my own, I ended up being picked on or ‘bullied’ and ‘sent to Coventry’ (ignored and not spoken to) by the majority of the people in my class. It was so bad that people were bullied by the ringleaders if they were seen talking to me. I had no one to stick up for me, and I was quite big for my age, so it was presumed that I could look after myself. I am a pacifist and dislike violence of any sort, so I would try my best to talk my way out of it. Sometimes I could, sometimes I couldn’t. When I went home, Dad used to say hit em back, and Mum would say run away. Not a single teacher stood up for me, and they knew it was happening – like the time the contents of my bag were thrown out of a first-story window by a bully (the teacher laughed with the rest of the class!). All of this has left deep scars … I saw one of he ringleaders last year, and even 18 years on I started to panic, and my chest felt tight.

I will always stick up for the underdog; I dislike bullying in any shape or form and will go out of my way to deter, prevent and discourage it. The effects of bullying last longer than most people think, and I am sure the severity of any bullying adds to how long it lasts.

User Detail :  

Name : S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 33, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Company Director, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Natalie
    Participant

I agree with Anouth, what goes around, comes around. I find I am unable to live with myself if I don’t stand up for the ‘pickee’. I once stood up to a HUGE man who was viciously harassing a young gay male in a fast food restaurant. I was yelled at, had food garbage thrown at me and then he walked up to me (at this point my bladder almost emptied) and spit in my face. Would I do it again? Probably. I think it just made him look worse for picking on a disabled woman too.

User Detail :  

Name : Natalie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Deist, Age : 32, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.