Finding out about Finland

Home Forums Geography Finding out about Finland

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Lauri26099
    Participant

I’m a Finn and was surprised how much was known about Finland. But there were a few corrections I’d like to make.

It is true that most Finns don’t enjoy it when it’s hot outside (maybe because our summer is so short), but you can’t say we don’t like heat; the sauna has a temperature around 80-120 Celcius. I think the thing about suicide rates is quite true, mainly in North Finland. During the winters it’s dark almost always, which leads to depression, and that causes the high suicide rates. The population of Finland is only 5 million, even though we are the fifth- or sixth-biggest country by size. The standard of living is high, and I’d say the Gross Domestic Product is a bit bigger than in the States, but I’m not sure about that. We are one of the five most-expensive countries in Europe. In 1990 we were the most-expensive country in the world. Helsinki is quite an international city. Reindeers are found only in North Finland, near the Arctic Circle. Finland is more than 1,000 kilometers long. It is true that Finland is much like Canada. Finland is best known in sports because of hockey; during the last 10 years we have won the world championship, Olympic silver (twice?).

Finland is a country of equality: we have a female president and were the second country in the world to let women vote. Finland is a country of technology, but also paper, ship building (almost all Caribbean cruise ships are built in Finland. All Finns (many other European and Asian countries, also) believe Santa Claus is from Finland (which is more possible than him coming from the North Pole). It is true that almost every Finn has a mobile phone, and we have the most Internet connections per capita in the world.

User Detail :  

Name : Lauri26099, Gender : F, City : Helsinki, State : NA Country : Finland, 

Alex29062
    Participant

While not typical of Americans, my view of Finland is this: Much like Canada, in regard to standard of living, Westernized country, without American BS. Cold winters and hot summers. Fauna mostly trees (I think of evergreens). Probably mixed central-European and Russian culture.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex29062, Gender : M, City : Elkins Park, State : PA Country : United States, 

Jenni T.

hi ! ok, it is true that finns are not that open about their emotions than…americans for example. in our opinion then, americans talk a lot and don´t mean what they say. it´s mostly that finns don´t talk that much, but they definetly mean what they´re saying. and often everything is said shortly, leaving out what we feel is needless, extra words kind of. I, and lots of people I know, feel that foreigners (OK, mostle americans) talk so much and mean so little i.e. ask first ‘how are you’ but don´t care to listen what your answer is. ‘how are you’ seems to be like ‘hi !’ and you´re supposed to say ‘fine’ no matter what´s the truth. now these we examples of how we feel about americans, but it quit well discribes us, and so is hopefully an answer to you. we do say ‘I love you’ more than once in a lifetime(on our deathbeds that is), especially younger people might use it daily. I suppose we have high rates in suicides, but so do other northern countries, meaning coountries with same kind of climate and long depressive winters…Sweden, Norway, Russia… surely you can say hello to the people on the street but that would be a lttle awkward but trust me, that is just another North-european habit. talking loud is allright, especially here in the capital. old people are more quiet and conservative, but as this generation ages and so on… I saw a document about about finnish ‘dances’ too, and it was ridiculous. it was like 30, 40 years ago! nowdays they might keep them sometimes for it´s historical ‘value’, but not like monthly and everywhere…I´ve never been in ‘dances’. and we have reindeers living up north, but I for example have never seen one except in TV ! they don´t walk around in the streets, and goes with the icebears too. Finland does not have icebears except in the zoo.

User Detail :  

Name : Jenni T., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Helsinki, State : NA Country : Finland, 

Steve27708
    Participant

I have heard that Finns are very closed to their emotions. For example, I have heard that if I go to Finland, I should not look people in the eye or say ‘hello’ when I’m on the street. Talking loud or joking on a subway or bus is also frowned upon, I hear. I also understand that some Finns only say ‘I love you’ to their spouses on their deathbeds. I guess Finland also has the highest rates of depression and suicide in the world.

Because of the small population being spread out, I understand that isolated farmers (and other men) and potential wives get together at monthly dances/socials to find partners. This comes from TV documentaries I’ve seen and articles I have read. On the upside, you have reindeer.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27708, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 39, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Publisher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Thomas

You are partially right. We have very distinctive seasons. During the winter it is, or can be, rather cold, and in the summers it might be even hot. As Finland is situated on the northern part of the Northern Hemisphere, there are great differences between the southern and the northern parts of the country. The north seems to be what most people outside of Finland know something about. Yes, there they have reindeer and Lapps, but it’s also very sparsely inhabited. It’s wildlife from Taiga to Tundra. A quarter of the population of Finland (total is 5.5 millon) live in the southern surroundings of our capital Helsinki. It’s a mid-size European town as any other. The climate in the south is not as harsh as in Lappland (north). Finns usually speak English quite well. We are a trilingual country, with the majority (94 percent) Finnish-speaking, around 5 percent Swedish-speaking and a very small minority of Lapps that speak same. Finland is a democracy and our president is a woman. Some people out there might have heard or seen something like a Nokia mobile phone. Nokia is a Finnish company. The economy of Finland is rather equally based between information technology exports and forest- and pulp-related products.

User Detail :  

Name : Thomas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 37, City : Helsinki, State : NA Country : Finland, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mikke
    Participant

Well southern and western coasts of Finland shared viking culture among other scandinavian countries…Most of finns are blue eyed and blond haired, and that mongolians stuff is disinformation, sounds really odd to me, finns are original european folk mixed with indo-europeans, those who wandered to north. Let’s put it that way, Icelanders were mostly norwegians when Iceland got inhabited. But nowadays icelanders are genetically more closer to finns than norwegians…so there can’t be big difference in us. *i choose my country as sweden but i am finnish (it didn’t allow Finland) weeeeird*

User Detail :  

Name : Mikke, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Hellsinki, State : NA Country : Sweden, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Babette

It’s really nice to hear that people connect Finland with good design and music. I’ve heard amazing stories about foreign people (especially Americans – no offense) who think the most amazing things about our country. Most people have absolutely no clue where Finland is, and I’ve heard unbelievable comments concerning us, like ‘do you have cats/bananas/stars(!!) in Finland?’ And of course there is always the myth about polar bears…

User Detail :  

Name : Babette, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Helsinki, State : NA Country : Finland, Occupation : Office worker, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Paula19818
    Participant

Hello all you from Finland! I would like to remind you that the question was aimed to people other than Finns concerning their views of Finland. This is not the forum for us to correct any misconceptions they may have.

User Detail :  

Name : Paula19818, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 21, City : Helsinki, State : NA Country : Finland, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.