Fat People

Home Forums Disabilities/Challenges Fat People

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Deb N.

Why do people frequently comment (usually in a negative manner) on someone’s size?

User Detail :  

Name : Deb N., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : Monterey Bay Area, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

J-Snow
    Participant

One possible answer is jealousy or envy. At work there is a “clique” of 6 or 7 quite overweight people. Every day at lunch they eat the kind of food the rest of us have to deny ourselves most of the time. I used to be overweight, and I really have to watch what I eat, and that kind of lunch for me is a monthly occurrence at best. Although it’s been a couple years since I lost weight, and I feel great, I still really miss junk food. So when I see people regularly overdoing it with no guilt or care about how they look or feel, I’m jealous. For this group, it’s party time at lunch, with card games, jokes and lots of food. They enjoy themselves, while the rest of us poke at our carrot sticks. It’s not my nature to comment, but I’ve heard lots of snide remarks from the other “skinnies,” the general theme being that they (the overweight group) rub our noses in it. I should add that this group is fun to work with and brightens up the office – except that they bring doughnuts for everyone at (otherwise intensely boring) meetings, which taxes everyone’s will power.

User Detail :  

Name : J-Snow, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Native American, Age : 32, City : Vancouver, British Columbia, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : librarian, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

siouxZQ27878
    Participant

Now that was one response that I have NEVER heard before – that the skinnies are jealous of the fatties ’cause they get to eat all the *good* food! I like it and I am keeping it for my very own – so from now on, whenever I hear a negative comment on my (large) size, I will know that it is simply jealousy. Thank you. 🙂

User Detail :  

Name : siouxZQ27878, City : Merrickville, State : NA Country : Canada, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.