Earrings/nipple rings

Home Forums Sexual Orientation Earrings/nipple rings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Karen R.

With so many people getting piercings in different locations on their bodies, I was wondering if this practice still (or ever has) denoted sexual orientation. If piercing does classify sexual orientation, how so? In other words, left ear, nipple, etc. vs. right ear, nipple, etc. And what about facial, tongue and genitalia piercings? Thank you for your response – it’s all rather confusing.

User Detail :  

Name : Karen R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Westminster, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gary

As a gay man, my straight friends always told me that if I wanted to have a pierced ear, I had to pierce the right. That way, I could be readily identified as gay and not straight. I guess women needed to know this. Certainly, straight men needed to know this if they felt a strong need to make verbal slurs or worse. Although this was an almost true statement a decade or so ago, it isn’t any longer. Within the gay community, you may pierce left (it used to mean that the man was dominant or ‘top’ regarding his sexual habits in bed) or right (it used to mean subservient or ‘bottom’ regarding his sexual preference in bed). It should be noted that this is not something that is done, either. We don’t tend to play roles. Sex is supposed to be fun and spontaneous. Top, bottom or in between. All is acceptable. I understand that straight sex it the same way, unless you happen to be Catholic. But, I digress. Today, it is acceptable to pierce whatever is desired. I believe this has happened because of a younger generation not so hung up on sexual orientation. Rather, it seems to be about adornment. As for the rest of the body piercing, I’m not sure why people pierce other parts of their bodies. I have absolutely no desire to have a ring in my genitalia. The ear thing was a big-enough deal, and I do so hate pain. Piercing has been done by man since the beginning of time and probably will until the end of time. So, even though piercing certain parts of the body meant something regarding sexual orientation (it probably still does in some circles) in the not-so-distant past, it doesn’t seem to carry the same connotation today. My advice? Pierce it if that’s what you want to do. Enjoy it if it pleases you. There will always be someone who will look down his or her bigoted nose at you and make nasty little comments. It’s yours to do with as you please. Enjoy! I have.

User Detail :  

Name : Gary, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : I believe in a God, Age : 52, City : Alton, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Technical Instructor, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lindsay H.

My daughter has more than a few piercings on her body. Frankly, I think this is just a way of trying to be ‘different.’ They don’t want to be like everyone else, yet they still follow the crowd. I don’t really like it, but then I hope I haven’t gotten so old that I can’t understand why they press for individuality.

As far as sexual orientation, for a long time, people thought if you had an ear done(can’t remember which), you were gay. Now I think it’s more like wearing a type of clothing. Do you think you look cool? In the last few years this has been generally accepted. Just like you see more and more tattoos. Not only on older people but on teenagers. Like everything else that comes along, it too will fade.

Now as far as tongue piercing, that is so stupid. Want to chip or break your teeth? Also, it is and can be dangerous to your health. Want to talk with a lisp?

Let’s tackle another subject: piercing the genitalia. Who am I to say what turns a person on – though I do not see how it adds to the pleasure of sexual relations. Or is it just done to be a shock factor? Then again, I’m a virgin in this area (piercing, that is). I don’t think it’s that big of a deal, as long as you don’t look like a billboard, and it does not interfere with you health.

I will say this: if I have a prospective employee who comes to me looking for work, like it or not, I do judge on how many piercings they have, and the amount of tattoos. Fair or not…

User Detail :  

Name : Lindsay H., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : self-employed, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chuck A.

First, concerning which ear to pierce: The RIGHT ear is the ‘gay’ ear. Or rather, it WAS the ‘gay’ ear. Pierced ears for men didn’t start becoming fashionable until the late 1970s at best, and usually men would pierce the left earlobe with an inconspicuous diamond or silver stud. A gold ring was considered somewhat more daring. The left ear was chosen for the same reason boutonnieres, medals or insignias are worn on the left side of the chest: It was just convention, nothing more, nothing less. For gay men who had the courage to let others know, wearing an earring or stud in the RIGHT earlobe was a subtle way of saying, ‘I’m different.’ But this was really very early on. As the years went by and men began getting multiple piercings in both ears, the whole ‘gay ear’ thing went by the wayside. Today many gay couples favor wearing their wedding or committment bands on their right hands rather than their left, pretty much for the same reason. As for nipple piercings, they are much more common among gay men than straight at the moment, although like so many other fashion trends, more and more straight men are starting to catch on. As for myself, I have never been pierced nor inked. It’s my way of expressing my individuality.

User Detail :  

Name : Chuck A., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 41, City : Spring Hill, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : AIDS Educator/Part-time radio announcer, 

Catherine
    Participant

Kissing and receiving oral sex from someone with his or her toungue pierced is a very enjoyable experience.

User Detail :  

Name : Catherine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Hope

I’ve had my nose pierced for about 10 years now, and yet I’m still often approached on the street and asked what my nose rings mean. It may be different for different people or cultures, but for a lot of us, wearing a nose ring simply means that we like the way nose rings look.

User Detail :  

Name : Hope, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Religion : Jewish, Age : 38, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.