Culture Copyright

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Culture Copyright

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Joann B.

I’m an astronomer and give planetarium shows with star legends from around the world that I’ve learned from books and other white astronomers. I’ve read that some Native American cultures view stories as I do physical property – telling them without permission would be stealing. Would I steal by using the stories? It feels worse to exclude the stories and, thus, First Nation cultures.
    Original Code R345. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Joann B., Gender : F, Age : 45, City : Canton, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Astronomer, 

Nickole
    Participant

I know how you can tell a few stories the right way: Let Native people tell them. The University of Michigan’s Museum of Natural History has a planetarium show called ‘Legends of the Three Fires,’ and it is presented byu a well-known Native storyteller. I have seen the show, and it is done very well. The best advice I can give is that if you want to tell a story, get the people who tell the story best!

User Detail :  

Name : Nickole, Gender : F, Race : Cherokee, Blackfoot & white, Age : 19, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.