Crossing the line with Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Home Forums Religion Crossing the line with Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Amanda31514
    Participant

I have heard several Jehovah’s Witnesses state that wearing a cross (necklace) while in their presence offends them. Is this a personal thing, or part of their religion?

User Detail :  

Name : Amanda31514, Gender : F, Age : 28, City : Saratoga, State : CA Country : United States, 

Mark S.

They believe that Jesus died on a stake, not a cross; hence the cross on a necklace is seen as a false idol.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Colchester, State : CT Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Damon
    Participant

I was also curious about this (my mom is a Witness of Jehovah) and did some research about the origin of the cross. I found some good information in Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words at http://www.menfak.no/bibel/vines.html

You may know that the New Testament was written in Greek. The Greek word used for cross is “stauros,” and this was the definition I found: – “Denotes, primarily, ‘an upright pale or stake.’ On such malefactors were nailed for execution. Both the noun and the verb stauroo, ‘to fasten to a stake or pale,’ are originally to be distinguished from the ecclesiastical form of a two-beamed ‘cross’. The shape of the latter had its origin in ancient Chaldea, and was used as the symbol of the god Tammuz (being in the shape of the mystic Tau, the initial of his name) in that country and in adjacent lands, including Egypt. By the middle of the 3rd century A.D. the churches had either departed from, or had travestied, certain doctrines of the Christian faith. In order to increase the prestige of the apostate ecclesiastical system, pagans were received into the churches apart from regeneration by faith, and were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols. Hence the Tau or T, in its most frequent form, with the cross-piece lowered, was adopted to stand for the ‘cross’ of Christ.”

So basically, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not agree that the cross orginates with the Bible, and that therefore, it should not be used as a part of Christian worship.

User Detail :  

Name : Damon, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Wyoming, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

jim

i just read two replies and there was good research done on the origin of the cross…stauros …the greek word did mean an uprright stake….but if you look in more recen research materials it has come to mean a cross to fit the meaning that religious leaders want….so logically speaking jesus was impaled on an upright stake….as for witnesses being offended by someone else wearing a cross…i have not seen that…they do not wear a religious symbol like that themselves but again that is a personal choice…we are all individuals

User Detail :  

Name : jim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : fort worth, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

MAM22320
    Participant

I have been one of Jehovah’s Witnesses my whole life. I do not believe that Jesus died on a cross; I do view it as a false religious symbol. Essentially it is a pagan symbol that was adopted by most of Christianity. However, seeing someone wear it does not offend me. I understand that most people do not know the origin of the cross. Like so many customs, people just accept it and never think twice about it. I would not accept one as a gift, but I would politely explain why instead of becoming offended. If someone were to investigate the origin, acknowledge that it is a pagan symbol, but continue to wear it, I would be extremely disappointed. I would view them as placing more importance in man’s customs than on God’s truth.

User Detail :  

Name : MAM22320, Gender : F, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 26, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Lina22934
    Participant

I am one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Although we believe Jesus died on a stake rather than a cross, I would not be offended by someone wearing it in my presence.

User Detail :  

Name : Lina22934, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 19, City : Palos Hills, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.