Confusing adoptions

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Confusing adoptions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

MaggieD

Why do people who adopt children from different cultures (such as chinese) give these children ridiculous caucasion names(the original chinese names are so much more charming), force them into adapting to caucasian culture (Disney princess birthday parties)and then halfheartedly have these children take lessons in their native language and culture? Isnt’ this kind of confusing? Not to mention schizophrenic? Stripping these children of their birth names seems extremely insentive and clueless. Are these children people or pets? Sometimes these children seem more like pets. Sorry.

User Detail :  

Name : MaggieD, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

CynthiaC

Western-born Asians tend to have westernized given names, are exposed to “Caucasian” cultures (not just superficial Princess parties, but also classical music and dance lessons, swimming and tennis. Growing up, I took piano lessons and at least 50% of my teacher’s students were either of Korean or Chinese descent. I knew more Asians who took western classical music than Caucasians) and have to take Chinese/culture classes as well. Most aren’t that confused and actually accept both cultures. It’s pretty typical, actually.

User Detail :  

Name : CynthiaC, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : None, Race : Asian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Editor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

CynthiaC

Western-born Asians tend to have westernized given names, are exposed to “Caucasian” cultures (not just superficial Princess parties, but also classical music and dance lessons, swimming and tennis. Growing up, I took piano lessons and at least 50% of my teacher’s students were either of Korean or Chinese descent. I knew more Asians who took western classical music than Caucasians) and have to take Chinese/culture classes as well. Most aren’t that confused and actually accept both cultures. It’s pretty typical, actually.

User Detail :  

Name : CynthiaC, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : None, Race : Asian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Editor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.