‘Concentration camp’ comment bigotry?

Home Forums Religion ‘Concentration camp’ comment bigotry?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jenn S.

In July I was at the wedding of a friend who is Jewish. Later in the night, when I was in the ladies room, a Jewish woman came up to me and said I looked nice in the dress I was wearing and that she used to be just as thin as I, etc. I said to her, ‘Well, you still look thin to me.’ She looked at me and said, ‘I mean concentration camp thin.’ (No, she was not in a concentration camp – she was born and raised in Boston). Then as we were walking back to the reception, she came out and said ‘What is your last name?’ I figured she used the ‘concentration camp’ line as a way to feel me out, so to speak, maybe like a test type thing. When she came right out and asked my last name, I pretty much knew that was her way of asking if I was Jewish. What is anyone’s take on this? Was she rude and over the line, or am I just reading more into it than I should?

User Detail :  

Name : Jenn S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 31, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Own my own clothing boutique, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicole20028
    Participant

She was out of line. Grossly out of line.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole20028, Gender : F, Age : 25, City : Virginia Beach, State : VA Country : United States, 

Josiah-H
    Participant

She was trying to find out if you were Jewish. I’ve had people do this before. She doesn’t sound rude to me, though she might try being a bit more subtle next time. I do think the ‘concentration camp’ thing was a bit much. Some of us have that kind of humor, but it’s usually reserved for tight circles.

User Detail :  

Name : Josiah-H, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 32, City : Tel Aviv, State : NA Country : Israel, 

Sharon

We have a tendency to want to know who else is Jewish. It’s like making sure someone else is ‘safe.’ This is from not so long ago, when it was unsafe to be Jewish – or different in any way, actually.

User Detail :  

Name : Sharon, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 32, City : Albuquerque, State : NM Country : United States, Occupation : secretary, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael
    Participant

There is NOTHING cute about ‘concentration camp-fitness’-image-seeking idotic comments. Frankly I would have asked this woman IF SHE WAS JEWISH. IF SHE HERSELF UNDERSTOOD WHAT IT MEANT TO DIE UNDER GAS. Better party next time.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 30, City : B, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Direction, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

JW

I would rather have someone just ask me than use a rather uncalled-for comment like that…there are other ways to find out information.

User Detail :  

Name : JW, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Jewish, Age : 17, City : Muskegon, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Adam25150
    Participant

This sounds like something one of my nutty aunts would say at a party. The whole last name thing, maybe she was just trying to find out if you were related to the bride’s/groom’s family. Jewish or not, she sounds like a crazy, tactless lady, possibly sloshed. I wouldn’t worry about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Adam25150, Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, Age : 18, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.