Come together

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Come together

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Leo-O
    Participant

To people of all races: If you realized you had met the person who was meant for you, but he or she belonged to a different race, would you set aside all the differences and continue to build your relationship, or would you start to distance yourself?

User Detail :  

Name : Leo-O, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Matthew

I would grab them and hold them very dear to my heart. Race and ethnicity would fly out the window.

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Beverley
    Participant

My husband and I just celebrated our 14th anniversary. I would have to say it has been 14 great years. We are an interracial couple. I am a British-born Jamaican living in the United States, which I consider to be home, and he is from Eastern Europe (or Western Asia, depending on how you look at it). This has been his home since childhood. You might think that from a cultural perspective we couldn’t be more different, but actually we have a lot in common. We were both uprooted from one culture to another at the sensitive age of 12 and were forced to adapt to another culture. He had a language barrier to overcome, of course, but when we compare notes of this traumatic experience, there are also many commonalities. He’s a math person and I’m an artist, both seeking to find beauty and order in the world, you might say. We share a lot of hobbies, music, reading, love of exotic food, travel, comedy. He’s an all-rounder and is at home here, in Jamaica, in England or Eastern Europe, and I am, too. When I meet someone from another culture, to me it is a great opportunity to find out who they really are, and my husband is curious about these things, too. I love people and treasure friends around the globe.

User Detail :  

Name : Beverley, Gender : F, Race : Jamaican, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, 

Trudy24918
    Participant

I think that in a relationship setting, race is irrelevant. I would much rather go out with a man of a different race who shared my values than go out with a man of the same race who was completely against my moral code.

User Detail :  

Name : Trudy24918, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 19, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Beth

The wording of your question is interesting. ‘Would you set aside ALL the differences’ suggests that because they’re a different race, they are going to be completely different from you. What makes my day is when I meet someone who is completely different from me. Someone who has had different life experiences and different viewpoints than what I’ve been exposed to in my life. Some of the most interesting people in the world are different than you and if you don’t take a chance and meet these people, you’re going to have one very boring life.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 34, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Freelance writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicole
    Participant

If I met someone who was ‘meant’ for me and they were of another race, I would continue to have a relationship with them. It’s not even a hard question for me. There is no dilemma. I’ve dated all kinds of men of differing races. I like to think of myself as ‘cultured’ in that I’ve dated men of many ethnicities and experienced their traditions and customs throughout the course of our relationship.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole, Gender : F, Race : black and white, Age : 24, City : Virginia Beach, State : VA Country : United States, 

Taz

It doesn’t matter what kind of supreme being or higher power you believe in, if a specific person was ‘meant’ for me, who am I to second guess that higher power? Don’t let something as simple as ‘what will my friends think’ ruin the chance at a great relationship. It’s your life, not theirs. Too many people go on to live lonely lives because they were pressured to ‘find yourself a good (insert ethnicity here) girl.’

User Detail :  

Name : Taz, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Windsor, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Social class : Middle class, 

Kim26366
    Participant

I often date outside of my race. I am more concerned with someone who has the same values as me and religion would be important to me also.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim26366, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30, City : Oceanside, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Govt., Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Vincenzo24846
    Participant

Love is colorblind. It doesn’t pay attention to what color people are. I agree with the above posts so far. True love isn’t conditional. You don’t say,’You’re too dark!’, or,’You’re too short!’ or anything like that if you really love someone.

User Detail :  

Name : Vincenzo24846, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 16, City : Preeceville, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jahny

People of all ‘races’ who oppose interracial dating and whatnot often say ‘If we mix w/ them, we’ll pollute our gene pool’ But look at it positively, most mix breed dogs tend to be a lot healthier than purebreds. If you think of dating someone ‘differet’ as bringing in foreign DNA to your children, couldn’t you at the same time consider a monoracial relationship to be a form of incest?

User Detail :  

Name : Jahny, City : Chestnut Ridge, State : NY Country : United States, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.