Chinese nails

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Chinese nails

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Ashley

Why do some Chinese men grow their pinkie fingernail long?

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Temecula, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Chelsey

To answer your question, actually I’ve known men of all races to grow their pinky nails just to signify their status to be single and when they marry someone they will cut it.

User Detail :  

Name : Chelsey, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, 

MINION20479
    Participant

This is used by people of various races as a scoop for powdered cocaine.

User Detail :  

Name : MINION20479, City : n/a, State : CA Country : United States, 

John29225
    Participant

In Chinese – I should say ancient – culture, each finger or groups of fingers are specialized in working with or doing something to a specific human orifice. For instance, the index and middle fingers are used to clean the anus, the ring finger is kept clean, and the pinky is used to cleanse the nostrils. Hence the longer fingernail for simple practicality.

User Detail :  

Name : John29225, Gender : M, City : Mahwah, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Eddie25577
    Participant

I am a Chinese male and don’t see such a practice in the States or back home, so I guess you are looking at some unique cases. However, back in the days of the Chin dynasty, people did grow their nails in order to show their wealth, i.e. they had long nails to show they didn’t have to do any work for themselves and were rich enough to hire maids.

User Detail :  

Name : Eddie25577, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Chinese, Religion : Taoist, Age : 22, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Students, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sarah-C28151
    Participant

According to my mother, it’s to pick their nose more easily.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah-C28151, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

jenny

It’s done, of course, to snort cocaine; that’s why my uncle grows his: to put the coke on the nail and sniff it.

User Detail :  

Name : jenny, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : unknown, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : full time student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ellen25331
    Participant

Chinese men grow their last pinky nail so they can pick their noses. I’m serious: my uncle does it all the time, and it sickens me.

User Detail :  

Name : Ellen25331, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Nick20020
    Participant

I think the reason is class-based; it’s a subtle way of indicating that one doesn’t have to do hard physical work (i.e. farming). Either that, or they do it simply because it makes picking the crud out of their nose and ear easier.

User Detail :  

Name : Nick20020, Gender : M, Age : 20, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Ricky
    Participant

In all my 24 years, I have seen only three to five Chinese guys with long pinkie nails. However, I have noticed that they use their over-growned pinkie nail to shovel up cocaine or some other drug substance.

User Detail :  

Name : Ricky, Gender : M, Race : Asian, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Camille
    Participant

Not only Chinese men do that. Black men do, too. My brothers have really long pinky nails.

User Detail :  

Name : Camille, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Warren, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : College, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Jason31259
    Participant

Being a Chinese American, I have never heard nor seen what you’re talking about. My roommate, who is half white and half Bangladeshian, grows his pinkie nail out to make tasks such as opening letters or packages easier. I think it’s gross.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason31259, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 21, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Andres
    Participant

Funny, i never saw any Chinese men with long pinky nails, though i have seen men with long pinky nails. The 1st time i noticed this was in 7th grade when 2 Pakistani brothers came to my school with very noticabley lony pink nails. Years later, in 11th and 12th grade i noticed black and white (though almost exclusively those associated with the hip hop culture) doing this as well. They usually joked when asked and said it was ‘to sniff crack.’

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 

Mary21954
    Participant

If you look at your ring finger, there are three line creases, the most top separating two bones. Chinese popular palmistry states that it is ‘good luck’ if the pinky finger is long enough to pass the third line of the ring finger. If you are not blessed with such ‘fortunate’ anatomy at birth, you can substitute the length of your finger by growing out your nail. You’ll probably only see this in the older Asians, as this is not commonly believed in the younger generations anymore.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary21954, Gender : F, Age : 22, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : Taiwan, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Allen31425
    Participant

I currently live in Guangzhou, China and many, many men do grow their pinky nails (as well as many other finger nails) long. A great many of the men doing this are definitely not using those nails as ‘coke spoons,’ for they are obviously extremely poor–many of them are migrants from Hunan, though some who are relatively well-off also grow their nails long. I have been told that it is because long ago the Mandarins would grow their nails long to show that they did no manual labor–people today do it to bring ‘face.’ That is odd since most of the men who do so are manual laborers.

User Detail :  

Name : Allen31425, City : Guangzhou, State : NA Country : China, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.