Chinese men, impotence and endangered species

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Chinese men, impotence and endangered species

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

John

Why are older Chinese males so obsessed with superstitious cures for impotence that they have depleted the world population of tigers, rhinoceras, bears and some forms of marine life?

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 44, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : systems analyst, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

John K.

The answer to your question is simple. Quite frankly, you are forgetting that we are, by definition, part of nature and the natural food chain. Would you ask the same question of other animals that are omnivores? Why not ask the shark why it eats fish, or wild cats why they hunt other mammals? We exist within the natural order, and eating meat does not disrupt that order, in and of itself. Along the same line of thinking, eating plants would also impact nature, so how is that any better? And just how would we fertilize all those plants without ‘animal waste’? Think about it.

That being said, in general, humans have a very poor record in terms of maintaining a balance. In our strive to sit atop the food chain, we have overcompensated, and threaten ourselves and other species in the process. As nature always does, it will require that balance to be reattained . . . and we will pay that price, sooner or later. But so have countless other species in the history of the world, when they overpopulate and ‘spoil’ their environment . . . it is the natural order of things. We reap what we sow.

User Detail :  

Name : John K., Gender : M, Age : 27, City : Cranford, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Chemical Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Fiona F.

Your question begs a bigger question: Why do human beings everywhere feel their needs (medical, dietary, personal or otherwise) supercede the needs of the environment and other species? I think the answer to your question is ignorance and/or lack of concern. For example, if you are a meat-eater, I would ask you a similar question: Why would you eat meat knowing that acres and acres of rain forests have to be cleared for cattle to graze? Why would you eat meat knowing that animal wastes pollute our waters? Why would you eat another sentient being? Some people don’t know the consequences of their choices, or they do but just don’t care.

User Detail :  

Name : Fiona F., Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 26, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jody

Your point about humans disregarding other species is well taken, but logically flawed. To take this to its logical conclusion, you would not have vegetables to eat, since farming disrupts the soil’s continuity and taking fruit from trees robs the tree of reproduction. Clothing is out, as cotton, wool and other ‘natural’ fabrics (I assume you wouldn’t wear synthetic fibers) deprice an animal or plant of something. Of course we consider the ‘harm’ we do to the environment. Why can’t eating meat be a result of that calculation? The food chain exists for a reason, baby.

User Detail :  

Name : Jody, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jerry

If you followed environmental politics, you’d realize that America and Western industrialization has most devastated earth life, more than any other group. The magnitude of that depletion trivializes your suspect claim. Why are you so certain that Chinese males are exclusively responsible for the problems of any of the species you mention, and for the reason you mention? It’s easy for the media to crucify a defenseless demographic group. I urge you to do better. But what excuse does another Chinese have in supporting the crucifixion of other Chinese?

User Detail :  

Name : Jerry, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ebony

First , the Chinese are not the reason the world population of tigers and whales is depleted. We are all to blame, and I could make a list of countries that have helped in this, and the United States would be pretty high. Most of China is poor, so the people can not afford the pills that we in the West have to cure impotence. So they do what many poor people do worldwide: make their own. China is an old country with old habits. Things are changing in the large cities, but as you move out from the city, you will see that life has not changed for years.

User Detail :  

Name : Ebony, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Utrecht, State : NA Country : The Netherlands, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Rain

Let alone arguing the truthfulness of the statement (misintrepretation and exageration in the statement), the title itself ‘Chinese men, impotence,endangered species’ is obviously very hateful and despising. I wouldn’t be surprised that someone would write up such a phrase since there are all kinds of people in a society, yet how could such phrases have possibly escaped the watch of the editors? As I understood, the editors have claimed the right to edit problematic incoming messages. I am a Chinese immigrant, and I indeed see a lot of great qualities of the US society, and admire this great nation very much, but there is one thing that I never admire, that is, our society sometimes seems very hateful, and that hatefulness is often accompanied with the ignorance to the subject and the indifference to learn about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Rain, Gender : M, Age : 32, City : san francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

alex

Ignorance, plain and simple.

User Detail :  

Name : alex, City : anytown, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Lemuel

This question was asked poorly. It is pretty obvious that older Chinese males are not the cause of species depletion. A better phrased question would be ‘Why do some people believe that rhinoceros horns and parts of other endangered animals work as cures for impotence’? It can’t be because of poverty because processed parts of animals poached in another continent cannot be cheap. Unfortunately even the authors of I Can’t Believe You Asked That took the easy way out on this one. They quoted someone who does a cooking show on the radio who referred to habitat eradication in China, India, and Africa. Tigers do not come from Africa. He is not much of an expert, and the editors weren’t paying attention. He is actually probably right about the habitat issue, but offered nothing useful on the reasoning behind the use of rare animals as aphrodisiacs.

User Detail :  

Name : Lemuel, City : Cuyahoga Falls, State : OH Country : United States, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.