Catholic rituals

Home Forums Religion Catholic rituals

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Robin29597
    Participant

Why don’t Catholics understand why they do and say all the rituals they do and say?

User Detail :  

Name : Robin29597, City : Bastrop, State : TX Country : United States, 

Sabie
    Participant

Well, most likely the Catholics you’ve talked to didn’t pay attention in Catechism class (yes, we have slackers, too, just like every other religion). Or they only went to church to please their parents, and stopped going once puberty hit, thereby becoming part of the infamous ‘lapsed Catholics.’ I myself am a lapsed Catholic, meaning that I rarely, if ever, go to church, but when I do go, it’s Catholic church. However, I actually listened in class, and therefore know why we do the things we do. Find yourself an intelligent Catholic who isn’t easily offended and ask away; some of the answers will probably intrigue you.

User Detail :  

Name : Sabie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 23, City : Greenville, State : SC Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ange24163
    Participant

Catholics never really have explained the rituals’ meaning to us. Before I did the sacraments (rituals), I needed to become a full Church member and attended classes that were meant to explain everything. Instead, the teachers just went over what I already learned in earlier scripture lessons. Fortunately, the Mass is fairly self-explanatory, and people only need to sit through a few services to understand what’s going on. The most important ritual is the Eucharist (bread and wine), which comes directly from the gospels. The confession ritual is a way to beg forgiveness and purify the heart. Most of the rest have come out of 2,000-odd years of history and serve to reinforce the community bonds so important to the Church.

User Detail :  

Name : Ange24163, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 20, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kim
    Participant

Just to add a little bit to this response, the Eucharist, aka Communion, has a bit more significance than simply bread and wine in the Catholic faith. During the Consecration, the holiest part of the mass, Catholics believe in the transfiguration. The bread and wine is actually transformed into the body and blood of Christ.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : na, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

George *******
    Participant

Have you ever been to a Latin mass? I have, and it has tons of ritual. I think I should study it more. I have gone to Catholic school almost my whole life and they never really get into the good stuff. I just have to learn that on my own. I suppose they do not teach us that because they think it is over our heads. I might respond again a few years from now.

User Detail :  

Name : George *******, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Meghan
    Participant

I would argue most Catholics do know what the rituals mean; I do. I went to Catholic school and asked questions as I had them. I think there is a misconception particularly amongst Protestants that Catholics are just blindly following and reciting at mass and beyond. While there may be some less knowledgeable Catholics, many are very aware of both the tradition and meanings behind these ‘rituals’.

User Detail :  

Name : Meghan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 26, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KristinaS.

I’ve been raised in a fairly devoted Catholic family and gone to religion/CCD classes for the past 12 years of my life, and there is a very simple explaination as to why I only know why we do hal the things we do: They don’t teach us anything. We aren’t really expected to learn about the Mass or the Bible or the religious holidays and feast days we celebrate. In religion class, we talk about moral issues and the ten commandments. Even my mother and a Catholic friand of hers acknowledeged that Catholics, unlike most Christian denominations like the one my father follows, are taught the reasons and meanings of rituals and observences, while catholics just aren’t. Which can be very frustrating, considering you spend money and lots of your time to be in a class to learn it all.

User Detail :  

Name : KristinaS., Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Greenville, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : high school student, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.