Categorization Offensive?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Categorization Offensive?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gill-O
    Participant

In England, the term ‘Asian’ almost always refers to people from India/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh/Pakistan. In America, it seems it usually means Oriental people – i.e. Chinese/Japanese/Korean, etc. In each case, the color/features identify roughly the group, but not the precise term to use. Is it insulting to a Pakistani to be called ‘Indian’ or to a Korean to be called ‘Chinese’?
    Original Code R75. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Gill-O, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Kenilworth, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Debbie

I am of Hawaiian, Portugese, English and French Canadian nationalities. I grew up in California, where most of my friends were African American, American Indian or Hispanic. I was always referred to as one of these different races. It never bothered me, because at the time I identified with these ethnic groups. Now that I live in the Hawaiian Islands, which is a ‘melting pot’ of nationalities, I still don’t mind being called ‘whatever.’ I have learned much about my ‘primary’ nationality, and I am proud to be ‘Hawaiian,’ but mostly I’m proud to be an ‘American.’ Mahalo.

User Detail :  

Name : Debbie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hawaiian,Portugese,English, French Canafian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 49, City : Hilo, State : HI Country : United States, Occupation : U.H.H. student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KSM

I would think it would be insulting for asians to be called oriental. The asians that I have befriended taught me that calling them oriental would be referring to them as an object, rather than as a person. I have noticed that many Americans are so arrogant that they don’t see anything wrong with the term ‘oriental.’

User Detail :  

Name : KSM, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : grad student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.