Can’t take ‘No’ for an answer!

Home Forums Occupation Can’t take ‘No’ for an answer!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ed25569
    Participant

Has anyone found a polite way to say no to a telemarketer when he or she calls and tries to sell you something? It seems to me that, for the most part, you have to be rude to make the person understand you are not interested in the product or service.
    Original Code O8. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Ed25569, Gender : M, Age : 30, City : Anaheim, State : CA Country : United States, 

SR28474
    Participant

Telemarketers seem pushy because they’re trained to be. If you refuse the product or service they’re trying to sell you, they read the “rebuttal” message on the computer screen in front of them. Because telemarketers work on commission, I think the politest thing to do is hang up on them. You avoid haggling, and they they have more time to call other potential customers. I know hanging up the phone can feel really rude, but they are the ones interrupting you in your home.

User Detail :  

Name : SR28474, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Lou

Try using the comedian’s way of getting rid of them. Ask them, “Can I get your home phone number and call you back about 3 a.m.?” If you have call display on your phone (displays the phone number of the person calling), call the number on the display and give them a pitch of your own. Maybe try to sell them your car or house. Or, while you’re on the phone with them, try to nit-pick them to boredom; making up absolutely absurd situations. Example: ‘Will your product survive a cattle stampede? Why not?’

I’m not guaranteeing any of this will work, but why not have some fun now that you’ve been inconvenienced? Laughter is the best medicine.

User Detail :  

Name : Lou, Gender : M, Age : 28, City : Windsor, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Robert

I just ask them if the call is a way I can make money, because my time is valuable and they are taking it up. I also have caller ID, so when a name comes up – i.e. Joe’s Heating & Cooling – I’ll answer the phone “Bob’s Heating & Cooling.” The person calling doesn’t know what to say, except goodbye.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 36, City : Roseville, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Techincal Auto Prototype, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa S.

I’ve found the most polite way to handle telemarketers is with a firm ‘No, thank you.’ If the telemarketer persists in his/her pitch, give the marketer one more ‘I’m sorry, no,’ and hang up. It’s too bad that we have to resort to this kind of rudeness, but with this method you can be satisfied that you at least tried the civil approach first.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa S., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.