Cab Drivers who are racists towards blacks

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Cab Drivers who are racists towards blacks

• This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Henry Chen

I have a lot of African American freinds, indeed my girlfreind is African American. However what I found disturbing was that many taxi drivers tend to be racist towards African Americans and this has happened several times. When I am with my black buddy cabdrivers swear they are off-duty and then pick up a white customer before we can get around the corner. This never happens with me when I am alone or with a White guy. Taxidrivers, many of whom come from Africa, the Caribbean, India and the Middle East, say they don’t want to pick up African-American passengers because they are afraid of being robbed, assaulted, or murdered. One Nigerian cabdriver (with whom I spoke when I was with a white pal) told me he only picks up African American men who are well dressed and look like businessmen. However he had less problems with old Black men and Black women. Both me and my white freind who is new to America from Great Britain were bewildered by his words. For my freind, this discrimination is inconvenient and downright humiliating and he regularly gets pissed off. During my travels I took up the issue with a number of taxidrivers in New York, especially with Chinese Taxidrivers who are more open to me since I am Chinese. He told me that most taxi drivers do not prefer taking young African Americans since they give poor tips and there is the risk of crime and robbery. He said’my black buddies never pick up young black men too.’ One black student Ethopean taxidriver told me,’ Hey listen this nothing to do with race or blacks but with niggers. I must be stupid to pass up a passenger since that means money. But I don’t want to get robbed. You know what the nigger crime rate is in New York? Do you want me to risk a gun to my head, man? What’s wrong with you, man? Hey you are Asian, you guys are smart and good people, never commit crime. You should not worry’ (well something like that)This is disturbing to see Africans from Africa having such attitudes towards my African American pals. Your comments.

User Detail :  

Name : Henry Chen, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Taoist/Buddhist, Age : 23, City : NY, State : NA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.