Boring, stupid Midwesterners?

Home Forums Geography Boring, stupid Midwesterners?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

B
    Participant

Why do people think that people in the Midwest are all boring, un-cultured idiots?

User Detail :  

Name : B, Gender : Male, Age : 28, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, 

A.N.

I have spent my entire life up until now deep in the Midwest (Kansas). There are exceptions, but in general, people are set in their ways, without much interest in new things, art, theatre, different cultures, etc. I am forever grateful for having the opportunity to attend a fine and respected university in a nice, liberal-minded city – which, I might add, is an oasis in an otherwise stuffy conservative Christian environment. It opened my eyes up to a variety of beautiful things that I would never have been able to experience in small town Kansas. I am definitely a better person for it. The stereotype that is spoken of is especially pertinent in rural areas of the Midwest. For the most part, they are uncultured when it comes to mainstream culture. Religion tends to rule the day; this affects everything from morals to political ideologies. As for boring, hmm … I do know quite a few Midwestern characters, so that may be an unfair judgment.

In summary, my experience has shown me that Midwesterners are some of the happiest and friendliest people in the country. They should not be looked down upon just because they don’t long for the cultural advancement and diversity that I do.

User Detail :  

Name : A.N., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Outtathere
    Participant

Short answer: because they are. Having been born in Kansas and grown up in Iowa and Illinois, and having just come home from an obligatory visit, I am realizing anew how much I hate the Midwest and why I left. Minneapolis, Chicago and Madison are exceptions (especially Madison), but the Midwest is by and large a region of boring, uncultured, incurious and intolerant – though seemingly friendly, at least if you’re white and American – idiots. They hate and fear anything unusual and different, and they take no pride in what makes them and their region unique. They are racists and bigots. They are too lazy to really think about things or to form their own opinions through experience. They get their news and views from USA Today, their food from fast food franchises, their household goods from Walmart, and if they have visitors, they’ll direct them to Hampton Inn and Motel 6 rather than to locally owned hotels.

User Detail :  

Name : Outtathere, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, 

Summer

Please re-read your response carefully. By responding in the crude, rude and distasteful way you did, every adjective you used to describe us ‘Midwesterners’ appears to describe you also. Furthermore, what you described sounds nothing like anywhere I have been (which includes Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas, Colorado and the list goes on). I have also traveled to both coasts, as well as overseas, but never would I comment on any of the places I have been the way you did about us. It sounds to me like you moved West, started making a little more money and forgot what The Good Life is all about.

User Detail :  

Name : Summer, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 19, City : David City, State : NE Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

T. Grone

Why do people think Midwesterners are boring, un-cultured idiots? Because usually you’ll get at least two out of three.

I should explain my credentials: I lived in Nebraska (40 minutes from the South Dakota and Iowa borders) for the first 17 years of my life. It was a town that, compared to the surrounding communities, had ‘culture’ (a college, a library and a drug community). At my high school of about 250 kids, we never had more that six who weren’t Caucasian. Of my graduating class of 60, perhaps five could identify a Picasso. Maybe 10 could tell you who wrote the Communist Manifesto. I went to college for two years in Minneapolis before heading to the East Coast. Minneapolis is a very nice town, as the above posts mention, and living in the heart of it you do get a wiff of the world, but at its core Minneapolis is very Midwestern.

The problem is that Midwesterners have a narrow-minded set of standards. Culture is not that important. The world is not that important. Even family is not that important. The one thing Midwesterners think is important is security. They like to feel secure; they like to know they have money and people to depend on and things that are familiar. Even small-town hierarchies are based on security. Traveling or learning about interesting things or doing interesting things isn’t always safe, and so these aren’t a true Midwesterner’s top priorities.

It’s too bad, but those who could most benefit the Midwest leave early on, and very few want to return. I feel bad saying there’s nothing there, but there isn’t. It’s not that there never could be something worthwhile, or that the Midwest can never be culturally sound. It could. But for now, it is full of people who do not care to change, and little else.

User Detail :  

Name : T. Grone, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 19, City : Falls Church, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

StellaBlue

Growing up as the daughter of a colonel in the Marines, I have lived about everywhere and been to a lot of places traveling as well. I have never found such a boring, generic place as the Midwest. Having been in Minneapolis for three years, I think I have given the Midwest a good opportunity to prove me otherwise. Unless you went to the University of St. Thomas (for some fucking reason they think it is in the same league as Harvard – hate to tell you ‘Tommies,’ but go 1,000 miles in either direction and no one has ever heard of you) and have a ton of family, this is one of the most unfriendly places I have ever been. ‘Minnesota nice’ – yeah, whatever. Try the land of the practical haircuts and fat asses.

User Detail :  

Name : StellaBlue, Gender : F, Age : 36, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Bernie23372
    Participant

While I can’t speak for the entire Midwest; living in Minneapolis, I would take a different view. There are large Somali and Hmong communities that are, for the most part, accepted and included. We are also home to a great university with a proud medical and intellectual tradition. Northern Minnesota is home to a number of nature-loving people (and I include hunters in this group). If not shopping at the local vegan mart and bombing fast-food franchises in some spirited protest of globalization are your version of cultural stagnation, then greater Minnesota might not be the place for you, but most Minnesotans I know are commensensical, tolerant and generally just good people

User Detail :  

Name : Bernie23372, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 17, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.