Blacks Bad Tippers?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Blacks Bad Tippers?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Cheryl-C
    Participant

In talking with various people in the food service industry, most have expressed that black people do not tip. They tend to leave very little or no tip, and this is not believed to be associated with quality of service. Why don’t black people tip?
    Original Code R193. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Cheryl-C, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Livonia, State : MI Country : United States, 

Elka-G
    Participant

I have been a server for the past three years at a mid- to upscale restaurant. Although there have been exceptions, I must say that most black people do not tip well. I am angered when I hear people say this is a direct response to the level of service I give, because I make it a point to treat all my customers with respect. I am very attentive and friendly, and it is rare that customers (black people included) don’t point this out to me. I have black customers who come in and ask for me because they know they are going to get great service. However, even my ‘regulars’ are very bad tippers. In the three years I have been a server, I have probably received a tip of 15 percent or higher from a black person less than 20 times. I have come to the conclusion that they just don’t realize they are supposed to tip 15 to 20 percent for good service.

User Detail :  

Name : Elka-G, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 33, City : Stanley, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicole20041
    Participant

To tell you the truth, I am black, and I hardly want to tip, let alone tip well at all. To put it simply, I just don’t have a lot of money. Never have. And growing up the way I have, I don’t see the need in wasting it like that. I thought a waitress’es job was to be nice and courteous, and to please the customers. In the lower class, urban culture (not black culture) I was raised in, we should not have to pay extra for that. We tip because we are forced to. 15 percent is way too much. A ‘tip’ was originally a little something for a spectacular waitress, server, or whoever that a customer thought deserved it. You may be nice, but that is your job to be nice. The customers try to be nice too. Aren’t you already getting paid a salary for serving us? So why complain? Tips should not be mandatory.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole20041, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : Washington, DC, State : NA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.