Black women only pretty when ‘mixed’?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Black women only pretty when ‘mixed’?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Alea29014
    Participant

Why is it that whenever white men write about a black woman in the media and she is ‘attractive,’ the white guy must stress that she is mixed and that that is responsible for her being attractive? Many black women in the media are not mixed, and if they are, still look like regular, everyday black women, so I don’t understand it. Non-black female actresses are NEVER constantly talked about in terms of them being more than one race. Why is this the case for black women?

User Detail :  

Name : Alea29014, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 23, City : Bronx, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Andres
    Participant

Where have you read this? Ive never seen that written in any magazine/newspaper/etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 

Monique-M20342
    Participant

Black women are considered attractive if they are of mixed race because of how we as black females are portrayed. We are often seen as unattractive because of our dark skin, naturally coarse hair and broad features, which may be considered by Anglo-Americans as not fitting the criteria of what is feminine as far as appearance goes. Usually when you see a biracial black woman, most of the time she has a good grade of hair, very soft and pretty to look at, with curls or waves, and she has longer, faster-growing hair, more European-like features and a lighter complexion. And that sums it up: those are the criteria white America says makes a beautiful female. As opposed to black women we’re seen as aggressive,unattractive,loud, and ignorant, and of course a little too dark. Furthermore, biracial black women could be seen as more passive or should I say less hostile as opposed to the stereotype of black women that I mentioned earlier. A woman the Bible may describe as a ‘gentle, quiet spirit.’ So that alone could make her seem more ‘desirable.’ As a society we have a hard time viewing black females as feminine and beautiful and if they are they must biracial. This reminds me of the whole slavery thing dark skin vs.light skin. Simple as that whomever appears more European is the beautiful one.Beautiful black women appear in all shades of hues,just look through Hype Hair or Ebony magazines.

User Detail :  

Name : Monique-M20342, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 16, City : Ft. Myers, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

JerryS

I can only say that I’ve never noticed this. Have you actually kept a tally, or are you going on your general impression?

User Detail :  

Name : JerryS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

H21615
    Participant

The black media does the same thing with attractive part-white women, such as Hally Berry,Alicia Keyes, Beyonce Knowles et al or the acheivements of part-white celebrities – they always stress the black part. You would think Tiger Woods were 100% black the way the black media talks about him, even though he’s less than a quarter black. And the way the black media refers to bi-racial actors, always using words such as ‘brotha’ ‘sista’ ‘nubian’chocolate’ or ‘mocha’ to emphesize their ‘blackness’, even though they’re just as much ‘vanilla’ ‘european’ or ‘caramel – a fact that they are often loathe to acknowledge. Also, the black media compeletely ignores hotties like Carmen Elektra, Pam Anderson, Jude Law, or Brad Pitt in any of its ’20 Hottest Celebrites’ polls. Does that mean that blacks think that whites are ugly?? I see the black media doing the same thing you accuse the white media of doing.

User Detail :  

Name : H21615, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : N/a, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mano
    Participant

Though I do agree with what had been said somehow I feel coloured people like us, should never let the opinion of others affect us. It’s the thought that counts.

User Detail :  

Name : Mano, City : singapore, State : NA Country : Singapore, 

William

It is not an American standard of beauty you speak of but a world standard of beauty. Long hair, light skin and eyes and delicate features are all considered ideals of a beautiful woman in most countries, not just this one. In the Latin Americas, the soap stars, movie stars and even the news women all look like they could be from Europe. This standard of beauty is worldwide. It is not some American racist idea of beauty. White women were coveted long before America existed.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alma31470
    Participant

I’m at a loss to understand why this dumb myth of the ‘loud, obnoxious’ black woman continues to be perpetuated. I live and work in a military enviroment with a very diverse population and I can tell you that the majority of ‘loud, obnoxious’ individuals are definitely not black; they are teenage and young white men and women. Why do I continue to hear this ridiculous sterotype and why am I hearing it from black men?

User Detail :  

Name : Alma31470, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 47, City : kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Matt21822
    Participant

I think black women of all colors are attractive. I do not know why they have to be talked about as mixed.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt21822, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 33, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Simone-Prim28006
    Participant

I am a dark skinned black female. I am to myslef and other people (not only blacks but every race) attractive, Im not saying everyone says I look good. I’ve had few people (black/males) say my skin was to dark so they didn’t want to be with me, but would get with my sister who is very light-skinned, (we have the same mom and dad). I dont know what everyone’s problem is but in every race their ‘are’ ugly people. Not every light-skinned, mixed or whatever you wanna call it are all pretty just like all dark women arent all pretty. There’s nothing wrong with being dark skinned or light-skinned. We cannot all be blessed beautiful (meaning whites, blacks, asains, hispanic, indian or whatever).

User Detail :  

Name : Simone-Prim28006, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Albuquerque, State : NM Country : United States, 

Jennifer31075
    Participant

Actually a lot of white people cannot tell unless you divulge exactly how mixed you are whether you are or not. Believe me a white person does not place a lot of emphasis as to who is lighter than who all are black. i am sure most black woman cannot tell the difference between who looks better a white man with blonde hair or black hair. The same goes for them they just make an issue out of race.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer31075, City : L>A, State : CA Country : United States, 

Ashlea

I’ve seen some very pretty darker skinned black people.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashlea, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Mishawaka, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Naj
    Participant

That’s my grandmother’s saying, (If you’re light, you’re all right. If you’re brown, stick around. And if you’re black get back). It’s not just mixed race but light skninned black women in general. I think that a black woman can be very attractive or beautiful, regardless of her skin tone but I, myself, am only attracted to and only date light skinned black girls. I can’t help it, maybe it’s society or whatever but I just find them more attractive. I’ve dated white girls and I mostly interact with whites in my daily life (i.e at school and in my neighborhood). I just feel more comfortable with a black girl but only if she can past ‘the 2 tests’ and has the features. And though they are hard to find I prefer light black girl over a biracial or mixed race girl.

User Detail :  

Name : Naj, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/Italian/Native American (Ima Sambo), Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 16, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.