Black-on-Black rudeness

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Black-on-Black rudeness

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ke-Ro

I am a 20-year-old college student attending Florida A&M University. Why do some African Americans find it hard to project a positive attitude in the workplace and be courteous to customers – especially those of the same race?
    Original Code R642. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Ke-Ro, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : College student, 

J. McCants

The reason some blacks seem to offer less courteous service to other blacks may stem more from their attitudes toward whites and themselves than other blacks. Some blacks have been socialized to treat whites with higher levels of respect and authority than themselves and their own. Society teaches us in several places, such as our schools, that we are inferior to whites. Check the textbooks and the TV commercials. It’s not hard to get. If you do not have a strong support system to counter these lessons, you end up honoring and/or loving whites more than yourself. This can lead to self-hatred and low self-esteem. When you see another black face, you see yourself and end up expressing your feelings for yourself toward these persons.

User Detail :  

Name : J. McCants, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Fort Washington, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : University student, 

Given C

Yes I agree with G.E. Long, totally. The only trouble is that most of these clerks may not even get the opportunity to read these messages.

User Detail :  

Name : Given C, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Amy

I am white, and having worked at jobs with black people, I think that they are more likely to be rude to customers of all races. I am not sure what causes this. Maybe it is because in Minnesota, even in the twin cities, black people are a small minority. Maybe this makes them uncomfortable. I also think, that for some reason, treating people with respect is considered a ‘White thing’ to do. My other idea is that I worked with black people in stores frequented by mostly upper-class whites(think preppy white girls,and SUV driving soccer moms) maybe this pissed them off- anyway… i would appreciate more thoughts on this cause I just don’t get it. ps–many of these fellow workers are really nice to me, which confuses me even more

User Detail :  

Name : Amy, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : St. Paul, State : MN Country : United States, 

Melanie
    Participant

It is so common place especially at black universities.

User Detail :  

Name : Melanie, City : Jackson, State : MS Country : United States, 

E Allen

This is nothing more than another one of the many manifestations of self-hate that African-Americans have internalized here in the U.S. You must understand that the majority of African-Americans are ashamed of being Black, they hate being Black, and actually wish that they were white. Until this brain-washed mindset is reprogrammed in the minds African-Americans in our communities, this type of behavior will not only continue but it will get worse.

User Detail :  

Name : E Allen, City : LA, State : CA Country : United States, 

angie75
    Participant

I have had simular experiences, When i worked at a military night club alot the black men were just rude and disrespectfull when coming in to pay covercharge or refusing to pay period.One night I happened to be off duty at work and observed those same black men gave the female filipino casheir no problem at all. I angrily pointed this out to them when they came back with the same rude behavior when I worked. I didn’t have a problem from them after that. It’s really sad but when ever the black patrons would come in I would automaticlly have a guard up expecting some sort of drama. I was still courteous because I i was raised to treat people no matter what race they are with the same. So, I think that African-Americans may automaticlly have an guard up because of past negative experiences with each other. I think that the solution is to treat each other courteous just like we would treat anyone else and not penalize the next person of our same race because of one or a few ignorant idividuals.

User Detail :  

Name : angie75, Race : Black/African American, City : san diego, State : CA Country : United States, 

Bill

I believe that behaviors like this are diffrent depending on where you are in the world and what the local economics are. I live in the deep south where there seems to be an automatic dislike for whites by the black populace. I am the sort of person who is nice to everyone, no matter what ethniticy they are or their sexual prefrences, but I have experienced the opposite of one of the other respondants. There have been too many times t count when I have been in line at a sore or at a fast food place and the black man or woman ahead of me is bantering nicely with the black clerk. Now when I get to the front of the line the reaction to my presence will vary. There are sometimes that I am treated just as well as the last customer who was black, but most times the reaction varies from their demeanor becoming stony to outright disdain being apparent. It really saddens me when I get a reaction like this but unfortunately the Black/white rift in the south is not healed and it will not be until the racisim stops on both sides of the race line.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill, City : Monroe, State : LA Country : United States, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.