Biblical references to homosexuality

Home Forums Religion Biblical references to homosexuality

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Shawn

To Christian scholars and clergy: I identify myself as a Christian, but believe that all religions are essentially worshiping the same higher power, whether He is called ‘Christ,’ ‘Allah,’ ‘Buddha’ or the various other deities of other religions. I also look at the Bible as an important piece of literature and as a guide, but considering the number of times it has been edited and translated over the centuries, I believe it would be impossible to attempt to understand and comply with the original intent, so while I follow the Bible’s general philosophy, I don’t look at individual passages for guidance. Is this blasphemous?
    Original Code RE147. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Shawn, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 24, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Aviation/Military Police, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kate

Shawn, there is a really good book called More than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell. It helps answer a lot of these questions. It helped me to know what I believe. Here’s hoping you will discover God’s unconditional love in Jesus.

User Detail :  

Name : Kate, City : Tyler, State : TX Country : United States, 

Michael F.
    Participant

There is a need to make some rather tough statements. Regardless of your reaction to these statements, please read the book previously recommended.

1) Christ is the only way. There are other religions, and some may recognize the same God we do, while others recognize poor imitations of God. However, none recognize Christ, who promises to be the only way to salvation (See John 10) 2) Despite what some denominations may say regarding the subject, people who practice homosexuality and do not repent have an eternal destination of Hell reserved for them. Progressing through the Bible, Leviticus 20:13 lists the homosexual act as deserving of death. Romans 1:18-27 shows those who practice such things have been “given over in the sinful desires of their heart to sexual impurity…” Most notably, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 provides a list of lifestyles whose pursuing guarantees non-acceptance into heaven. This statement needs to be taken seriously. Homosexuality is a sin.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael F., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Computers, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Larry-Hill22948
    Participant

One view of the restriction in Deuteronomy of ‘Lying with a man as you would lay with a woman’ is that the Baal-Preor cult of the Canaanites included a crop fertility rite that that involved having sex with a temple prostitute. These prostitutes were both male and female, and this act was considered idolatry, which was a capital offense. No one knows for sure if this is what was being prohibited, or if homosexuality was. The absense of a similar injunction against women is sugests that more than orientation was the issue here.

User Detail :  

Name : Larry-Hill22948, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Jewish, City : Huntington Beach, State : CA Country : United States, 

Dan

There is in possession manuscripts in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek that were created down to less than 100 years after the original Scriptures were authored. Legitimate modern Bible translations are based on these manuscripts. Also, in Europe and elsewhere in the world, monks and other translators were not allowed to deviate from the original by even one word. Despite linguistic shifts, we have these manuscripts in the original languages, and we have recordings of the customs and ways of thinking of the times in order to understand them.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lindsay

The belief system that you mentioned (that they were all prophets or are all essecially equal) seems similar to the Biahi faith. Although not completely an expert, I have done some research on it because I have a friend who is from that faith. As for that belief being blasfemous. As a Christian I had to consider that question too. Is Christianity the one true faith, or just my way of seeing God. If you believe the Bible to be true (and Christians are supposed to) then you have to remember that it says God is the only God and that Jesus Christ is his only Son. There is no other ‘right way’ and there are not multiple Gods.

User Detail :  

Name : Lindsay, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Muskegon, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Bible Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Leon
    Participant

‘I believe it would be impossible to attempt to understand and comply with the original intent, so while I follow the Bible’s general philosophy, I don’t look at individual passages for guidance. Is this blasphemous?’ I have no problem with your belief that all religions are essentially worshiping the same higher power. I would just like to point out something though: For some apparent reason most people think that the Bible can not be trusted anymore or should be read light heartedly due to the fact that it has been ‘translated so many times’ and ‘the meaning got lost in the translations’ and ‘they’ve changed so much in the translations’. What you should realise is that they do not make a ‘copy of a copy’ if you will. They don’t translate the text, throw the old one away and next time translate from the newer one.Every single time they make a new Bible the translators go back to the original Byblical Hebrew (OT) and Greek (NT) versions. Wich date to the years +/- 300 years after Christ (I speak under correction). They translate from the oldest text they can find, anew, every single time. And seeing that our knowledge of the Greek and Byblical Hebrew language has grown considerably over these last 100 years our translations should now be more accurate then ever. Yes, some translators when they translate a new Bible for today make changes that they feel is neccassary. But they don’t change whole paragraphs and sentances or just completely leave them out. What they well do is change certain words so that the meaning becomes more clear, or move words around, place a comma here, or a fullstop there etc. For if you have seen the earliest Bible transcripts that we have you would understand how difficult it is to translate the Bible. Greek is not that much of a problem. But Byblical Hebrew? The earliest forms have: basically no punctuation, absolutely no spaces and no vowels. So what you would look at basically is something like this: ilvnacr (I live in a car) But, like I said, with our growth in our knowledge about these languages our translations these days are better then ever. Despite what most people think the Bible that we have today is as close to the original transcripts as possible.

User Detail :  

Name : Leon, City : Cape Town, State : NA Country : South Africa, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.