Asian women a “drag”?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Asian women a “drag”?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Trixie
    Participant

Why is it that Asian women insist on dragging their feet when they walk? I have noticed that whenever I hear or see someone dragging their feet on the sidewalk, 90 percent of the time it is an Asian woman. I find it very sloppy.

User Detail :  

Name : Trixie, Gender : F, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Blunt
    Participant

I’m Chinese and have never seen any Asian women ‘drag their feet’ when they walk. Are you talking about all Asian women, or just old ones? It would make sense that the elderly would shuffle their feet since they are old.

User Detail :  

Name : Blunt, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, 

ACC25116
    Participant

My wife is Filipina and she never does that. It’s kind of hard to do in high heels especially. And I’ve never seen that done among the local Filipino community, or by people in the Philippines when I visited. I wonder if you aren’t just imagining things based on the old image of Asian women having bound feet.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25116, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, 

Marsha22154
    Participant

These Asian women, are they wearing pumps, high heels, zoris or tennis shoes when they’re dragging their feet?

User Detail :  

Name : Marsha22154, Gender : F, City : Bakersfield, State : CA Country : United States, 

Kathleen26630
    Participant

I’ve noticed this also for years, but it’s not only the women. The men are contributors to the ‘dragging’ syndrome. I work in Detroit for the automotive industry, which is very diversified, and this has mystified me for a long time. Anytime I hear that sound, it is always a person of Asian ethnicity.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathleen26630, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Waterford, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Alex29051
    Participant

It’s not that we insist on it, but Asian women generally have significantly more delicate, smaller and narrower feet (I wear a size 5) and it’s hard to find the right shoes in a Western country. Most of the shoes are either too big or too wide, and I always end up shuffling (especially with flipflops and sandals that are too big). I’ve noticed a few Caucasian girls shuffling their feet as well, and I’ve noticed they all had small feet, too.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex29051, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 19, City : Vancouver, British Columbia, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

laila-Johnson26197
    Participant

This is because Asian women have smaller feet.

User Detail :  

Name : laila-Johnson26197, City : thurmond, State : CT Country : United States, 

G-Neil21733
    Participant

I’ve noticed that, too. I lived in a Japanese language dorm for 2 years in college, and a lot of my friends are Korean. They do drag their feet when they walk, and it used to drive me nuts.

User Detail :  

Name : G-Neil21733, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 26, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Betty

I’ve yet to witness this as something exclusive to Asian women. I drag my feet only when I’m exhausted.

User Detail :  

Name : Betty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : Medford, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

A

one thing is for sure…it’s not a filipino trait. i’ve seen other asians doing it…but not a lot of filipinos. it could truly be due to the small feet…but who knows. i’ve seen other races with big feet who drags as well.

User Detail :  

Name : A, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Union City, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

lish25563
    Participant

sigh. have you worn slippers? i’m sure you all have. do you still pick up your feet properly when you walk? even if you consciously to, to life them high enough when you walk so that the heel part of the slipper is completely of the ground, hence eliminating the draggy effect… pretty darn ridiculous, ain’t it? and also because dragging the feet is not considered a sloppy thing in most asian cultures. not that we make a point to, but if it happens, and not excessively, hey, it’s ok. parents don’t yell at kids to pick up their feet when walking, they have better things to yell at, like go study and finish up the extra set of homework i gave you. please understand that you find it sloppy because your culture and upbringing has dictated it to be sloppy. ps. a lot of asian women look much younger then they are. the 30 year old woman you see dragging her feet may be 60, with 60 year old joints.

User Detail :  

Name : lish25563, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 20, City : KL, State : NA Country : Malaysia, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Ben24282
    Participant

I have noticed this as well, and it doesnt matter if they are young or old or what shoes they are wearing as It has now become a pet hate of mine ! I have put it down to them being just lazy and not lifting their feet !, I guess it just catches on, when one does it everyone follows. To be honest it pisses me off ! im sick of feet draggers ! , I remember when I was a kid and my grandmother would hit the back of my legs and say ‘dont drag your feet’, because it does actually portrait laziness !!!

User Detail :  

Name : Ben24282, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 29, City : Sydneuy, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Operations Manager, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Melissa22262
    Participant

I’ve definitely noticed that, it drives me nuts! It’s mainly the people that are straight off the boat. I’m Korean and adopted and have never done that.

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa22262, Race : Asian, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, 

Mark

I grew up in a asian community, and all the asian girls and some doods draggin their feet, shuffing around. It is so annoying, even the korean woman in my office does this wherever she walks! and she is a director, PICK UP YOUR FEET AS YOU WALK. thank you.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Logistics Support, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Cindy19573
    Participant

I have no idea why they do it but I do know that it’s not only the women. I worked for a Japanese company and we noticed this shuffling walk, or dragging of the feet. It was so prevelent that whenever our office would be visited by a large number of Japanese managers and engineers, the floors would always end up all scuffed up with black marks from them dragging their feet when they walked. Never heard an explanation for it though.

User Detail :  

Name : Cindy19573, Gender : F, Age : 30, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.