Asian anti-integration

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Asian anti-integration

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Alex

Why is it that Asian communities seem less willing to integrate than blacks and whites?

User Detail :  

Name : Alex, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : York, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Health Consultant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Cynthia31743
    Participant

It’s because many Asians feel that they are not welcomed by the Euro-American/Canadian society. But that is not always the case. I have many white friends who are asking ME, because I’m Asian to help them get more Asian people into the group. But it doesn’t seem to work. Asians insist to me that the Euro-Canadians do not want them there. If I’m in the mostly Euro-Canadian group then how come they can’t be?

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia31743, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Original Poster
    Participant

Why is it that European-American communities seem unwilling to integrate with Asian-Americans? Why are jokes about Asians passed around by European-Americans? Lastly, why do American movies, television shows, and newspapers, ridicule Asian-Americans or treat them as ‘foreigners.’ People do not like to mix with others who do not respect them or welcome them.

User Detail :  

Name : Original Poster, Gender : M, Race : Asian-American, Age : 26, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Law Clerk, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mel-Watkins
    Participant

I agree with David L. on almost all points, but the unfriendliness of the Asian community in general is not going to solve any of the problems he mentioned. Are there maybe accompanying reasons besides a feeling of not being welcomed?

User Detail :  

Name : Mel-Watkins, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Gunnison, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jason-C
    Participant

Your premise would be wrong in the US. In the UK, perhaps Asians are reluctant to integrate because of history. Take the Chinese. It was only a few years ago that UK still controlled Hong Kong, a prize won by imperialist avarice at the expense of Chinese people. Integration into a society with historical motive to forcefully addict the Chinese people to opium might seem seem inappropriate. But that is only theory. In the US, I see Asians, seeking integration at all cost. They don’t seek historical perspective for their preference but rather acceptance from mainstream society to assuage their self contempt. You might like it here in the US.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason-C, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 29, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Paralegal, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Steve-J27827
    Participant

Hey, David! What could you possibly be basing your belief on? Well, Guess what? Are you even remotely aware that right now in California Asian/White marriages are more common than Asian/Asian marriages? So your assertion that Europeans don’t accept Asians is totally off track. What happens in California is often a precursor for the rest of the nation.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve-J27827, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : Warrensburg, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Joey
    Participant

David L. Well said, brother. I can’t stand to be even near anyone who doesn’t respect me. I have a quick ‘korean’ temper, so if someone disrespects me, I either have to leave the vicinity to calm down or just take a shot at his face.

User Detail :  

Name : Joey, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 25, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Raven

This seems like a never-ending cycle of separatism. If the Asian populations keep themselves to themselves because of the stereotypes on TV, then it is only going to increase the stereotypes that are in their white neighbors’ minds. I’m afraid it is going to take very strong people to get over that kind of situation because integration is the only way that false stereotypes are going to be reversed.

User Detail :  

Name : Raven, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Age : 25, City : Edinburgh, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Nala
    Participant

David, the guy’s writing from the United Kingdom. Over there, the term ‘Asian’ refers to South Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, etc.) immigrants, because those are the people who make up the majority of Asian immigrants. East Asian immigrants have done a good job of integrating (as much as they can so far) without losing their culture in the United States, as far as I know, and probably in the United Kingdom, too. But South Asian immigrants…they set up ‘culture camps’ to send their kids to during the summer, they threaten to disown their kids if they intermarry with other races or even other religions (i.e. a Hindu kid and a Muslim kid), which explains the relatively low rate of intermarriage for South Asians in the United States with ANY other racial group, plus the whole ‘become a doctor and marry a nice Indian girl, forget about your dreams of becoming a rock star’ mentality. Religious fundamentalism, or at least strictness, is part of it in the United Kingdom, I think.

User Detail :  

Name : Nala, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : South Asian, Religion : Agnostic, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.