Aryan Indians

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Aryan Indians

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Steve-S27838
    Participant

I have read several anthropological references to people of East Indian descent being considered ‘white’ and even ‘Aryan.’ I’m curious about this because my wife is Madras Indian and is not fair-skinned. What are the real roots of ‘Aryan’ people, who we always thought were fair-skinned and blonde and of Germanic or Scandanavian descent?
    Original Code R498. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve-S27838, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 48, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, 

Rahul-K
    Participant

The term ‘Aryan’ refers to people who speak Indo-European languages. These people are from Europe, Iran and North India. South Indians (including those from Madras) are Dravidian by origin, and the languages they speak are unrelated to those spoken in the north. Most North Indians are descended from Indo-European (in this case Sanskrit)-speaking tribes that originated from the Caucasus area. The Dravidians, which originally inhabited the whole of India, were eventually displaced and forced to move south as more ‘Aryan’ invasions occurred. Hence, people from the extreme North of India (usually tall and fair-skinned)look and are distinct from South Indians (who tend to be short and dark).

User Detail :  

Name : Rahul-K, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Hindu, Age : 25, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.