Are we whites really that mean?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Are we whites really that mean?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Ozzie
    Participant

I’ve noticed white people are almost always classified as conspiring against blacks, or as being racist. Why is this? This is very strange to me, because I watch TV and notice there are more white people defending blacks than blacks defending white racists (because we are all racist ,and of course holding the black man back).

User Detail :  

Name : Ozzie, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 22, City : toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Tubbs

I think that many African-Americans consider white people to be conspiring against us or racist because of our history in this country and our present socio-economic status. The American slave trade has played a significant role in the present socio-economic status of black people in this country. Many white people (and some Black) initiated this system and many White people still benefit from this system today. Peggy McIntosh wrote an article, ‘WHITE PRIVILEGE: UNPACKING THE INVISIBLE KNAPSACK,’ that speaks to some of the unspoken benefits that white people in this society enjoy over Blacks. Some of the privileges that she mentions are: greater ease in renting or purchasing housing that you truly wish to live in; little/no threat of harassment while shopping, driving, or dining; wide representation in the media; educational materials and toys for children that represent your race; to name a few It is telling that in your post you note that there are more white people defending blacks than vice-versa. Perhaps this is because there are an overwhelming amount of white people expressing their diverse opinions on televison. Of course, the pat response of most white people is, ‘I didn’t do that as an individual; and that state of affairs is not my fault.’ and those points are valid. However, if you wish to live in a fair and just society you should at least acknowledge the fact that things are indeed unbalanced and you are the beneficiary of this inequity. That being said, I don’t want any hand-outs or ‘special’ privileges from white people and I think that Black people that push for such things are living in a fantasy world. I hope that Black people will instead work together to overcome adversity in spite of present and past unfairness.

User Detail :  

Name : Tubbs, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 28, City : Silver Spring, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : between jobs, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

sheri27975
    Participant

off hand i’d say no, whites aren’t really ‘that mean.’ the problem with your comments stem from your last sentence…’because we are all racist, and of course holding the black man back.’ that’s a sweeping statement and pretty much a stereotype. not all black men accuse whites of holding them back. not all blacks think all whites are racist. as for defending white racists…i don’t know anyone who _wants_ to defend others who constantly accuse them of being inferior. as for whites defending blacks on TV, well, if the only information you get about race in from TV it’s no wonder you believe stereotypes. i’d suggest you get out and met people of other races before you believe everything you see on TV. if i were to believe jerry springer i’d think all whites lived in tailor parks, had affairs or threw tantrums that ended with them destroying the trailer to evict an annoying lover.

User Detail :  

Name : sheri27975, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Jewish, Age : 35, City : redwood city, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Angela

Hey Ozzie, if you REALLY want an answer to your question, check out the live video-taped footage of white policeman in LA beating up a handcuffed 16 year old black kid. Then take a trip over to New York City and watch how many cabs stop for ANY black person, male of female. Read a book called Women, Race and Class by Angela Davis and find out how the english colonists gave Native Americans small pox disease and purposely sterilized hundreds of Native American women. After that, go rent a movie called AMASTAD and watch it without leaving for popcorn or the bathroom. You will never ask that question again because you will know what we all know: Whites have a legacy of hatred against anything and anyone that is not white. Your history books can show you this. There is not one place on this earth that white men have not gone to and have not killed or destroyed…history also teaches this. They never sought peace with others, only domination through violence, rape and bloodshed. In history books, whites had the nerve to look at other races that they knew absolutely nothing about and call them savages. Its hard for you to see this because you have never had to look, most whites dont want to look and pretend everything is fair and equal. If I was getting most of everything in life and just an advantage in life because of my skin,I guess maybe I wouldnt say anything to rock the boat either. The truth is whites will never understand what it feels like…never.

User Detail :  

Name : Angela, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Angela

If you want an answer, check out the live videotaped footage of white police officers in Los Angeles beating up a handcuffed, 16-year-old black kid. Take a trip to New York City and watch how many cabs stop for any black person, male of female. Read a book called Women, Race and Class by Angela Davis and find out how the English colonists gave Native Americans small pox disease and purposely sterilized hundreds of Native American women. After that, go rent a movie called Amastad and watch it without leaving for popcorn or the bathroom. You will never ask that question again, because you will know what we all know: whites have a legacy of hatred against anything and anyone not white. Your history books can show you this. There is not one place on earth that white men have not gone to and have not killed or destroyed. History also teaches this. They never sought peace with others, only domination through violence, rape and bloodshed. In history books, whites had the nerve to look at other races they knew absolutely nothing about and call them savages. It’s hard for you to see this because you have never had to look; most whites don’t want to look and pretend everything is fair and equal.

If I were getting most of everything in life, and an advantage in life because of my skin, I guess I wouldn’t say anything to rock the boat, either. Whites will never understand what it feels like. Never.

User Detail :  

Name : Angela, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

William24312
    Participant

Native Americans killed the white man first. WE did not invent scalping. As far as cabs in New York not stopping for blacks, I guess the drivers were tired of being turned into personal ATMs for young black men. I think you should look at your own history and the lifestyles of your people before you preach to us about ours. We are the most productive people in the world, not the most consuming.

User Detail :  

Name : William24312, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 38, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

William

After reading your post again I had to add a p.s. White people are not given anything because we are white.If we have anything it’s because we went to school and got the kind of education that it takes to make the kind of money that it takes to have a nice lifestyle.You could say that we now work for you because so much tax money that we pay goes for the support of your baby and your baby mama.If another people had settled this country you would still have been brought to this place as slaves,thanks to your esteemed ancestorial kings and queens.The only difference is that you would have been in a rice or sugar cane field rather than a cotton patch.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Reg-G
    Participant

If whites really are that mean, then why are non-whites flooding to ‘white’ countries worldwide? If whites really are that mean, then why is there more black-on-white crime than white- on-black crime in the United States? If whites really are that mean, why did they free the black slaves who they had bought from black slavetraders, while there still is slavery in Africa today? If whites are really that mean, why do they have affirmative action and other programs that unjustly benefit non-whites who are not up to the required standard? If whites really are that mean, why do they have Red Cross and other help organizations to help poor non-white countries? The list goes on…

User Detail :  

Name : Reg-G, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : na, State : NA Country : Europe, Social class : Middle class, 

Sheri R.
    Participant

i think the issue really isn’t whether or not whites are ‘mean’ or not. the real issue being brought up here is history. every culture/country has some bloodshed in their history. no one is perfect. no one is without blood on their hands historically. however, i DO think some errors in your statements need to be corrected. much of what you said can be answered more by economics than non-whites seeking white neighbors. if a country is prosperous and powerful and provides opportunity, people want to live there. the majority of people living in that country may be white but that doesn’t mean the country’s success is solely because of whites in that country. crime is also a result of ecconomics many times. blacks generally are poorer than whites and any group that has less many times will resort to crime. with slavery you say this as if one day whites just woke up and said it was wrong to have slaves. freeing the slaves was a very long and bloody conflict that cost this country more lives than any of the others wars it has ever had. before slaves were freed, a slave owner could do _anything_ they wanted to their property. we can’t imagine what that means but the fact that suicide was the number one form of death for slaves might give you an idea. slavery was ended for political reasons and the south fought damned hard to keep it for economic reasons. as for slavery in africa…it is not the same as it was here. with the U.S., slavery was never ending. people were born slaves and would die slaves. in other countries, slavery was used to pay off debts. once you worked off your debt, you are free. you’ve assumed that affirmative action automatically promotes undeserving non-whites. that’s a stereotype that i personally believe comes directly from racism. some whites just can’t conceive of a non-white being as qualified for anything as they are. non-whites can be and ARE qualified for jobs and schools. if they aren’t, then they get fired, just like an unqualified white person. there are plenty of organizations that help others. i think the important thing about them is that people involved are helping each other, not pointing fingers and making accusations.

User Detail :  

Name : Sheri R., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 41, City : san francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Doug-J
    Participant

In response to the white cop hitting the black kid, well, you are assuming that it was racist. Look closely, my friend. The officer was bleeding from around the ear. The officer claims that when he put the kid on the car, the kid grabbed the officer’s testicles and squeezed, and he hit the kid to get him to stop. You would do the same thing. You certainly would not ask the kid to let go. Physical violence begets physical violence. If this is true, then what the officer did is justified. It revolves around officer safety. A traffic stop is the most dangerous type enforcement an officer can perform. You never know what’s going to happen.

I would expect this type of response from a person such as yourself, who is black, has a four-year degree and probably a well-paying job.

As far as your response about whites hating color: yes, we are warlike, but look at the black race, they are, too. Yes, we look down on people of race, but blacks do, too.

You also fail to mention all the black-on-white crimes that occur. But I guess this is justified in your close-minded, racist head, because of all the ‘oppression’ that YOU have received from the white man.

User Detail :  

Name : Doug-J, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 30, City : Hickory, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Blue collar, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Pat Rice
    Participant

Looking at Black American history is a challenge because of how it was systematically destroyed by Native Americans? no. Black people? no. White colonists. Their participation in the slave trade and their methods of continuing slavery robbed black people and the rest of this country of native languages, most customs and any source of history. Don’t act like white people did much alone. Most was on the backs of others. Railroads? Chinese Americans. Much of the country’s economics, black people. And where did White people get space to build this beautiful country? First kill off the Native Americans that lived here first (so if they killed white people first it was because you were trespassing) and then get Black, Asian, and any other (Irish, Italian) people we can oppress to do the building and then claim that they are lazy and we work hard. Get real. Face your guilt about being part of such a heritage and move on. Holding on to lies breeds ignorance.

User Detail :  

Name : Pat Rice, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : College Park, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : teacher/ student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Moe20290
    Participant

Well AJ you’re 30, and you have a lot of growing up to do. Fact: every human is the same color. Look it up, read, learn and research. Due to heredity, there are differences in how much color an individual may display. Mankind, not just the white man, will do nasty things to control resources. It is about survival. Groups form alliances. An easy alliance is formed around color lines. It is visual and you don’t have to even talk. In Europe, where most everyone is white, they form religious alliances. Blacks in Africa kill each other via tribal alliance. So-called black and white Americans have to form an alliance; otherwise we will all be speaking Spanish.

User Detail :  

Name : Moe20290, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Of many races but live as a black man, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Network Admin, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kelly26586
    Participant

Please take off your hood for a minute and listen up. Native American’s killed the white man first? And how’d he get his hands on the white man? The white man brought himself to the NA land and tried to take it. I would kill them too. As for the cab issue, and keeping in mind the original post here. What if all non-whites decided that ALL Whites were these horrible mongrels and were not to be trusted. Would you think it was okay if non Whites were to crack Whites over the head any time they came in contact with a White? Of course not. If that was okay’ed, you’d be at city hall every day of the week, filing charges against every non White person that you’ve come in contact with. Why, then, is it okay for cab drivers to no longer pick up Black men? As for the answer to the original question as to whether or not Whites are as bad as non Whites let on? Well, I think that you and your attitude is a good illustration of why non WHites are still distrustful and think horribly about Whites.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly26586, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, 

Aaron

If it had not been for your comment in quotations, I might have thought you were really asking a good question. Your comment only helps black people see that white people like yourself will never truly even want to understand.

User Detail :  

Name : Aaron, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 31, City : Palo Alto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service Rep, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tony

What white person ‘defends blacks’ and in what way? What exactly does ‘defending blacks’ entail?

User Detail :  

Name : Tony, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 20, City : Southfield, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.