Are humorous hippies a ‘Black Thing’?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Are humorous hippies a ‘Black Thing’?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Corrie

I recently mentioned that my parents were hippies, and all three of my black co-workers started laughing hysterically. I’m white, and I didn’t wait around for an explanation. Is there one?

User Detail :  

Name : Corrie, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Richard-Blossom
    Participant

I do not mean to offend your parents but, in effect, that is what I am going to have to do. If you could afford to be a hippy in the ’60s, i.e. if you could afford to make a living sitting around jobless, acquiring acid, going to concerts and getting yourself draped in colorful cloth, beads and mud, then obviously you did not have to worry about making it from day to day, or about earning money to feed your family, etc. While a lot of good people were working hard to earn their small piece of bread, the hippies, believing they were helping the situation, stood outside, picketed the place and caused hard-working people to lose their jobs.

Hippies generally came from middle- to upper-class families, and they could afford the time and luxury to sit around and do nothing but smoke up and have sex. Perhaps your observation on black people finding hippies even more ridiculous could trace back to this. In the ’60d, African Americans and other minorities were struggling against racism; further, African-American families were a lot poorer than white families. Therefore, perhaps more black people at the time simply had to work hard for a living while battling racism, and they did not have the time or luxury to sit around and do nothing.

User Detail :  

Name : Richard-Blossom, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 49, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Producer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chris-Rockford
    Participant

I do not believe that hippies are an exclusion to being ridiculous to anyone. Hippies are more or less one of the sixties groups that became oversaturated with phonies who used the ‘hippy’ name as an excuse to drop acid and zone out. I believe there must have been some sincere activists within the hippy regime, but overall, the whole Woodstock “get naked, get muddy, get laid, dress scuzzy” thing made the hippy scene somewhat laughable. Ever heard the song lyrics, ‘I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac?’ It goes to show you that the whole scene dropped out and tuned into their yuppy counterparts. Think about it: When is the last time you saw an older hippy? Not the phony Dead Heads in their late twenties, but the real thing? Few and far between, no doubt.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris-Rockford, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 52, City : San Franciso, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Environmental Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mandi

First, the response of three people in no way constitutes a racial trend. Second, unless your hippie mom was smoking something while pregnant, you have no excuse for not realizing that the fact that your parents were hippies (something ‘out of style’) is now humorous. It’s just the same as if you mother once had a beehive hairstyle or your father wore leisure suits. It’s funny because we don’t do it anymore, and the fads of yesteryear are always seen as humorous in contemporary light.

User Detail :  

Name : Mandi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Corrie, I am a black male who during the 60’s was a hippie.Most of the people I hung out were white…very few black hippies…atleast in my immediate community….About your black co-workers laughing when u informed them about your parents being hippies….I personally do not know why it would strike them as being so funny…unless there is a big difference between you and them…like you being very straight laced etc.,…if u have any rapport with them…just ask…i’m sure you can do it in a way that they’ll understand…try it ok? Let me know how it went…i’m curious to know why they laughed…. joe p (an old black ex-hippie)

User Detail :  

Name : Joe Pearson, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : state gov'mt worker, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.