Are blacks hotter in the sun?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Are blacks hotter in the sun?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Bonnie

When I wear dark clothing on a sunny day I feel extra hot. I was wondering if blacks (or any dark-skinned people) feel extra hot in the sun all the time, since darker colors absorb the heat while light colors reflect it.

User Detail :  

Name : Bonnie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : NY, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Tinu

That is an interesting question. My first instinct is to say, how would we know? We have never been not-black, so how would we know what hot feels like to you in comparision? We were certainly made to withstand heat better, and exposure to direct sunlight. We can still get sun tanned and sun burned, but

User Detail :  

Name : Tinu, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : Greenbelt, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nancy
    Participant

Good question, but I did read something in a book, ‘Eat Right For Your Type’ by Dr. Peter D’Adamo. He was talking about how humans evolved after they started migrating from Africa. (Archeological evidence suggests the human race started in Africa; if that’s true, everybody’s ancestors came from Africa!) Anyway, some people migrated north and developed lighter complexions because lighter skins tolerate cold temperatures better. So those people because the Caucasian race. People with darker skins tolerate heat better. So maybe that’s the answer. I guess it has to do with melanin.

User Detail :  

Name : Nancy, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, 

chee
    Participant

im caramel complected and i dont sweat most of the time, but i do tan easily usaully with a red shade, might be the indian in me. So to answer your question speaking for me as a medium light skin women of color i can usuaully take the heat, unless its full of humidity.

User Detail :  

Name : chee, City : NY, State : NY Country : United States, 

Michele20522
    Participant

Interesting question, but I’m not sure how I’d know if I’m hotter in the sun than a white person. I guess I could ask you, are you cooler in the sun than I am? I think that is one of those ‘Which came first, the chicken or the egg?’ kind of questions.

User Detail :  

Name : Michele20522, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 36, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

A-B23977
    Participant

Black people originated in africa, where it is much hotter,usually, and recieves alot more sunlight. It’s a fact that blacks have far fewer sunburns, and on them suntan lotian is more effective. Ancient humans living in africa evolved darker skin to compensate for the greater sunlight.I dont know, however, if blacks feel hotter. We would need to do a study to determine that.

User Detail :  

Name : A-B23977, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 14, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Briggs

We (blacks) are often amazed at how quickly whites jump into shorts and T-shirts at the first sign of sunshine in the spring, seemingly with no regard to temperature. Take a poll in your office and you may find that if the whites find it comfortable, the blacks will find it chilly.

User Detail :  

Name : Briggs, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 34, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Technology analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.