Are biracial kids African American?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Are biracial kids African American?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Taliba
    Participant

Why do whites who have biracial children have a hard time understanding that those children are African American? African American means to me that a person is of mixed heritage.
    Original Code R613. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click “to respond” below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Taliba, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, 

Jasmine31221
    Participant

African Americans are Africans who are American. American is not white and does not mean the kid is biracial. Bicultural, yes but not biracial.

User Detail :  

Name : Jasmine31221, Gender : F, Age : 16, City : Santa cruz, State : CA Country : United States, 

John

I believe you should look at all your heritage and then just be yourself. How can you say that a child who is half white and half black is one or the other? Most of a person’s beliefs are not a factor of their race; they are a factor of their parents (or lack thereof) and the environment they were bought up in. I agree that most (not all) white/African-American people associate with the black community, but that is because they are brought up that way. If I were a biracial child, I would not appreciate someone excluding one of my parents from my life, and by making this assumption that is what is being done.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mixed race, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Houghton, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student at MTU and IT pro, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Justin

One reason why some whites have a ‘problem’ with labeling biracial people as ‘African American’ is, for one thing, the term has no clear meaning. Traditionally, the ‘-American’ word meant a person from another country who came to this country and became a citizen. There would be very few ‘African Americans’ that fit this specific category. Now it means any person with any amount of African ancestry at all and their descendants. If this category is true, I could be classified as an ‘African American’ since my grandmother was born in Tunisia. But since I am white most people would be skeptical of this broad definition. Generally on appearance, most whites believe that biracial kids are ‘African American’ until it is pointed out to them. My ex-girlfriend, who is biracial (black father, white mother)was quite adamant of being considered biracial because she did not want to discount her mother’s contribution to her chromosomes. Either way, I think that it is not what white people classify a biracial person, but what the biracial classifies his or herself, because they are the ultimate authority to how they are identified.

User Detail :  

Name : Justin, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : registered nurse, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dawn

First of all, the understanding of the term ‘biracial’ is very simple. Biracial children are not categorized as ONE race. I have a biracial daughter who is blessed to be part white and part ‘black’. Her father is not ‘African American’, but black. He is not a descendant of Africa and I feel that it shows disrespect to say so. The bottom line is that biracial children are CHILDREN. They did not ask to be born into a world that feels as though people HAVE to be placed in some type of racial category. They are blessed to be part of many heritages and should learn so as well. My question is: ‘When you look at a biracial child, what do YOU see?’ A child’s life is a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark! The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them. We are all pencils in the hand of God.

User Detail :  

Name : Dawn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : Troy, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sarah

I have a bi-racial child (african-american and caucasian)and when I fill out forms that force me to choose a race for her, I choose African American because I assume most people would call her ‘Black’ based on looks alone. I prefer to call her mixed or biracial because I have a hard time completely neglecting my white heritage.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Norfolk, State : VA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Carol
    Participant

I’m Irish and Polish. So why wouldn’t my ancestry count for anything? The way I see it, my son would be African-Irish-Polish-Jamaican-American. And that’s a mouthful — especially for a two-year-old. Seriously, though, most of the forms I’ve had to fill out had ‘Biracial’ as one of the categories, and that’s what I’ve checked. If there was a choice of ‘Jamaican-American’, I’d pick that, as my husband doesn’t like the term ‘African-American’, as he is neither.

User Detail :  

Name : Carol, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, 

Tatjana27431
    Participant

Obviously you are ignorant. Biracial and multicultural people are exactly who they are…biracial means having two parents of different races. Why should someone deny the fact that they are who they are just to please ignorant Americans like yourself who still refuse to acknowledge their existance.

User Detail :  

Name : Tatjana27431, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : German, Italian and Black American, Religion : Jewish, Age : 22, City : Heidelberg, State : NA Country : Germany, Occupation : Writer/Web Designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

AJ28978
    Participant

So does the African American just cancel out the white? I know what you are saying. Some White Women in particular seem to be in denial of the childs African Heritage. They don’t even put oil in the child’s hair and cry about them having wild nappy hair. Duh! I’m a black woman with a biracial child and I consider her black. Why shouldn’t I? She will have to deal with the same racism that I deal with everyday.

User Detail :  

Name : AJ28978, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, 

shanna-franklin
    Participant

My question to the person who wrote this is why do some black people not realize that biracial children are black but they are half white. Even though the outside apperance may look more black for some biracial kids they are still born to a white mother. It is true that black people in general are all mixed because everyone has a little bit of something in them. The only problem I have is that if a person is born to a white mother black male and looks more black that doesn’t mean that we should forget about where the child came from and celebrate everything about that person. It’s not shameful to be a child who has two different cultures in their life but alot people think that if you look black you should act that way and be that way and I think that is the wrong way to raise a biracial child. They are who they are no matter what the outside apperance shows. Embrass everything about them.

User Detail :  

Name : shanna-franklin, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : CONWAY, State : AR Country : United States, Occupation : stay at home mom, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Suicism

That’s stupid. African American means they’re black, it’s just a nicer way of saying it. And it’s stupid, because someone can be from Jamaica or the Carribean and be black, but the first instinct of any sensitive American is to refer to them as ‘African American,’ since that’s what the black establishment has deemed politically correct. Unfortunately, in today’s society even that honest attempt at racial sensitivity is likely to invoke rage on the part of the mislabeled; i.e., a Jamaican man being referred to as ‘African.’ Come on people, when the day comes that a black is offended for you calling him the very term his ‘people’ suppossedly wanted, which is ‘African American,’ I think we’re in serious trouble. It’s really stupid for you to coorelate the term ‘African American’ with somebody of a mixed ancestry. Is there anything MIXED in that statment, besides the African and the American parts?? What about the WHITE part of the boy or girl, that has no value to you? I find it difficult seeing mixed children not being encouraged at any level to embrace the values and culture of their white parent. That white heritage is simply neglected, and shrugged-aside for the more politically-protected and quasi-fashionable black image. If it was a term used to denote mixture, it would be ‘African/European American.’ That simple.

User Detail :  

Name : Suicism, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Moreno Valley, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

cory

shut the fuck up

User Detail :  

Name : cory, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 19, City : americus, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jess
    Participant

To me African American means someone who is from Africa coming to live in America. So biracial children wouldn’t be ‘African American’ unless of course they are from Africa. Biracial to me means a person who has parents of very different physical characteristics, their mixed heritage could be many different combinations not just black and white.

User Detail :  

Name : Jess, Gender : F, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.