Always victims?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Always victims?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Cookie

Why do some African Americans feel they are always the victims?

User Detail :  

Name : Cookie, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Thomas M.

You must understand that people who are always a victim are refusing to take responsibility for themselves. It is easier to be a victim than actually try to accomplish great things. How many times have you heard ‘…a plot by the man to keep me down..’ Ignoring the fact that decisions the speaker made are the true reason for failure.

User Detail :  

Name : Thomas M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Old and White, Religion : Scientologist, Age : 57, City : Boyne City, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : proffessional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

I’m white, so maybe I’m not the right person to respond. I think that, across all racial lines, the younger generations are more prone to feeling victimized. In regards to African Americans who feel they are victimized, well… have you ever ridden in a nice neighborhood with a black man? Have you ever gone grocery shopping in a nice store with a black person? Africans Americans feel victimized because they are treated as second class citizens because of the pigmentation of their skin.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristan Hall, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 32, City : Lampasas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Lewis

Historically, African-Americans have always been the victims and it didn’t stop with the end of slavery – read the true history of the United States and the injustices against African-Americans for simply wanting equality in America and the blantent racism forced on them and their families by White Supremacy. Read the history and not only view it…attempt to understand it.

User Detail :  

Name : Lewis, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 30, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : C.E.O., Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Godz21520
    Participant

VICTIMS OF WHAT?

User Detail :  

Name : Godz21520, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Kidd, State : GA Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sheri27972
    Participant

Asking why do some African Americans feel they are always the victims is like asking why is it that some of any group always feels a particular way. The answer is simple, people are individuals and feeling like one is always a victim isn’t a unique trait to African Americans. There are people of all races who like to be victims all the time. Race has no bearing on a person’s desire to be seen as a victim or not. In my opinion, people who portray themselves as victims all the time are people who want something for nothing. They always claim someone is treating them unfairly because they want something without working to earn it. This attitude isn’t unique to African Americans. I’ve seen it in a variety of people…they don’t have to be poor or under-priviledged to have this attitude either. Some people, regardless of other circumstances, just like being permanent victims.

User Detail :  

Name : Sheri27972, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Jewish, Age : 35, City : Redwood City, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sarah28132
    Participant

For a long time african american have been discriminated against, and that just happens to be a history that we can not change. And this racism still goes on today in everyday life weather you would like to beilieve it or not. It is not that they are acting as if they are victims it is that they are standing up for themselves when they have been discriminated against. I think that you are seeing this as if they are making victims or themselves which is not true . they are simply standing up for themselves, cause if they don’t who will?

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah28132, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Anderson, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Emily-W25360
    Participant

I think the reason SOME black people feel as though they are always the victim is because they feel most people are still as racist towards blacks as they were 100 years ago. I know society has changed quite a bit since then, but it’s hard to see every other race moving ahead in this country, but a lot of blacks are still at a disadvantage.

User Detail :  

Name : Emily-W25360, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Fairfax, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Shawn

Because sometimes Black people today still truly are the victim, which was handed down from 2 centuries of being classified as ‘lower’ by the White man!!! Then again there are Black people who will still use this as an excuse because it is easier to blame someone else for there shortcomings! Regardless of race, I believe that anyone who considers themselves a victim, should harness this energy in a positive way to make themselves stronger and overcome obstacles that are in your way whether they are put there from society are you yourself are putting them there!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Shawn, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Doesn't matter!!!, Religion : Methodist, Age : 29, City : Naperville, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Social class : Middle class, 

Black people have been put down by other races and within their own race. They strive to do better and be better, but it is hard when you are constantly judged because of your color – whether you are walking in a store to get a drink or going on an interview for a job. Blacks have been the victims of countless racial acts and putdowns. This is why we feel we are continually victimized by the media and society.

User Detail :  

Name : Kandice Gray, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Rialto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine

I think people view themselves as victims because they don’t want to own up to some of their responsibilities. Black people do it, just like teenagers do it. When something is not going right in your life, for some people it is natural to blame everyone else but themselves. I am African American and choose to view myself as the opposite of a victim, because when you are a victim, you are giving someone else power over you and your life. If more people would take control of their lives (all types of people) I think there would be less of this victimization.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kevin26322
    Participant

Several groups of humans use victimization as a political tool to gain power. One need only look to white reverse discrimination claims, gay discrimination claims and the Middle East conflict for examples. Groups attempting to gain power have always used victimization arguments to gain the moral high ground in their quest to forward their political agendas. And each group comes armed with various degrees of amunition. For African Americans, that amunition includes slavery, the death of more than 100 million of our ancesters in the slave trade, the rape of our women and the complete stripping of our history, sense of cultural identity, mother tongues and religion. I would submit to you that the African-American victimization argument is still effective because African Americans can never forget our past in this country, nor can we allow others to – or history will continue to repeat itself. And if reminding folks of the past and pointing out modern-day incarnations of past practices makes some folks uncomfortable, so be it, because that is the desired effect.

User Detail :  

Name : Kevin26322, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, 

Star27940
    Participant

I would hope that we don’t consider ourselves victims. I think that when others hear black people address injustices that we face DAILY, they misconstrue this as ‘playing the victim.’ That comes from not understanding what it is like to be a black person in America today. I will not allow these injustices to hold me back or deter me from reaching my goals, and I hope that others will do the same. Do the same despite how frustrating it may be. I don’t pay much attention to those who have no idea what it is like to be black, judging my experience as a black woman. No, we are not being ‘victims,’ we are simply identifying our DAILY struggles.

User Detail :  

Name : Star27940, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 24, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : RN, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mitchell20270
    Participant

The reason I feel some African Americans feel they are ‘victims’ is that they are looking for pity. They want people to give them special treatment because of their ancestors being enslaved some 500 years ago. I feel that any group of people who feel like they are victims doesn’t have motivation to advance themselves. They believe everything they were told early on, that they were thieves, heathens, savages, etc. If people continue to believe they were heathens and savages, they will continue to blame society for why they are the way they are. The only people who can change that ideal of thinking is those individuals. That’s why when certain people, regardless of color, who apply to work at certain jobs don’t get hired, they automatically blame it on their skin color for why they weren’t hired. I find using skin color is an excuse for people who don’t have faith in themselves.

User Detail :  

Name : Mitchell20270, City : Queens, State : NY Country : United States, 

S.

I know that sometimes when it comes to class, more African-Americans will cry they are victims. I personally do not feel that I am a victim. I’m treated fairly by most races, and the people who have a problem with me, I just shrug it off as their problem. But, since I’ve been in grad school, a lot of white people ask me ‘How does it feel to be a black person’? Or ‘How can you stand the injustice that you face because you are black’? I feel like I’m being forced to be a victim to justify something for them. When they ask me questions and I respond, I don’t know because I’ve been raised in an all white surburbian area and have few experiences of what they are talking about, many just don’t believe me and keep pressing for me to cry YES I AM A VICTIM PITY ME response. So yes, some black people cry victim, but a lot of whites foster this thinking so they can sit back and pity blacks. This pity seems to be a vicious cycle.

User Detail :  

Name : S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 23, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.