All there in black and white

Home Forums Age-related All there in black and white

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rick29773
    Participant

It seems to me that a great many of the Generation X white population have chosen to act like black people. Why is this?
    Original Code A22. Click here to see responses from the original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29773, Gender : M, Age : 40, City : Virginia Beach, State : VA Country : United States, 

Diana

I don’t know about others, but I can’t help but to use terms that are generally thought of as ‘black’, or wear certain styles of clothing. I listen to R&B and rap constantly, because it’s what I identify with. I can’t ‘feel’ other genres of music like I can R&B and rap. These styles of music, dress and speech have portrayed more culture and originality for me than anything else. I also write and sing R&B, which I know is hard for some people to grasp (how can some white chick ever have enough ‘soul’ to pull that off?), but I’m not trying to act black. I didn’t ever think I was crossing racial territories by listening to or participating in this music. It is only recently that I realised some people resent white people appreciating something that is thought of as for black people, and this hurts me because I feel I’d lose a sense of identity if I denied my desire to create this music. To me, music knows no color. As for ‘black terms’, anyone who knows more than ‘you go, girl!’ would know that this vernacular is more concise and shows more flare than plain old English. And after listening to the music 24/7, you can’t help but pick up certain terms. However, I don’t use terms that are irrelevant to my lifestyle, eg, I wouldn’t walk around referring to my friends as ‘homies’ or ‘g’ because we are not a gang, they are not gangsters, so it would be pretentious. It’s when people spout words and phrases for the sake of it that it’s insincere, and, I feel, a little disrespectful of the hip hop culture as a whole.

User Detail :  

Name : Diana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Gold Coast, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Rainbow

How does one ‘act’ black?! Im a young, multiracial female, my father is black, and my mother is asian, hispanic and hawaiin. Though, I do enjoy being with people from all races, this question never seem to pop up. I never knew that Blacks have actually been categorized to the point where people have been immitating us, and its bad. People just need to accept others just the way they are, and if it seems like immitating, its probably simply a way of saying that we feel and like the way you people act.

User Detail :  

Name : Rainbow, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, 

Katie

you can act black? i didn’t know there was such a revelation, i thought people were people, unless we are again purposely discriminating. how can a habit, speech, or action be racial? i understand what you are saying, but it sounds sweeping. for many kids in my area, its the attraction of ‘the hard life’ everyone around me has it easy, and the lifestyle seems pumped with action and excitement, as portrayed in pop culture…where as going to school everyday seems less intriguing.

User Detail :  

Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Bloomfield Hills, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

YOU ARE IN THE 40 AGE RANGE, AND THAT IS THE AGE THAT IS COMMING OUT OF THE WHITE GENETATION COPING BLACK MUSIC, DANCE, COOKING, ART, WITHOUT BLACKS HAVING ANY PART IN THE SAY SO OF IT. IT DOES NOT SAY WHETHER YOU ARE BLACK OR WHITE, BUT IN YOUR GENERATION YOU SAW ELVIS PRESLEY, FRED ASTAIRE, THE BEATLES, AND ANY NUMBER OF OTHER WHITES ACT THE SAME WAY GEN X IS DOING, AND BECAUSE YOU HAD NO CONTACT OR KNOWLEDGE OF BLACKS,OTHER THAN THE PROPAGANDA OF THAT GENERATION YOU DID NOT KNOW THAT ACTING BLACK HAS BEEN GOING ON LONGER THAN GEN X.

User Detail :  

Name : KALA rOGERS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : dON'T BELEIVE IN RELIGIONS TOO MANY OF THEM, Age : 50, City : aTLANTA, State : AL Country : Saudi Arabia, Occupation : MAILMAN, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

emily

I think white suburban teens and young adults are fascinated with African-American ‘culture.’ MTV has caught on that the myth that all black people have guns, are drug dealers, pot-heads, treat women poorly and don’t work appeals to teens. Suburban white teens aren’t around black people, so they have the freedom to act or talk like that stereotype because African-American’s won’t laugh in their face. Teens are obsessed with image or rather finding one that fits who they truly are, so they try on as many as they can until they give up and try being themselves. I think that some people take their sweet time in figuring out that playing a role of someone else is a waste of time.

User Detail :  

Name : emily, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : caterer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

ronald-mcintyre
    Participant

white people act like us because the things we do are cool and creative. i guess thay are incapable or just don’t want to make their own cool/creative things to do. white people don’t realize the things we do date even back to AFRICA. Braids,Afro, giving each-other nicknames thats all stuff that we did in AFRICA, to this day people do that type of stuff in AFRICA. I know these things because I’m from dire dawa in Ethiopia. Even hip hop came from Jamaica, and most Jamaicans trace their ancestory to Sierra Leone and Guinea. To whites asians and latinos these are just cool things to do but for African Americans this is a lifstyle. But I got love for everybody so if other races want ebrace our lifestyle then go ahead but remember who made it up. I almost forgot, stop acting like Eminem is such a great rapper if he was black he would probubly be considered just okay.

User Detail :  

Name : ronald-mcintyre, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Muslim, Age : 16, City : washington dc, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.