African Americans and motor sports

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity African Americans and motor sports

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

David-C26044
    Participant

Why do African Americans have almost no involvement in professional motor sports in the United States? Is it because of discrimination, lack of interest, socioeconomic or cultural issues, or a combination of some or all of these factors? I don’t know of any in the CART World Series, IRL or NASCAR; same goes for motorcycle racing. Any ideas?

User Detail :  

Name : David-C26044, Gender : M, City : Brisbane, State : NA Country : Australia, 

Gregory-H21594
    Participant

I would say the reason owes in part to all of the factors you mentioned. I can’t comment on Indy Car racing, but American stock car racing has its origins in Southern moonshine runners (think Dukes of Hazzard) souping up their individual cars to allow them to outrun the vehicles of the authorities. When this started (1920s/1930s), very few, if any, Southern blacks even had cars. When it became more of a pasttime than a business necessity, blacks had no knowledge of it, no connection to it, no car, no money or time to work on such a car and no interest in it. They did, however, have baseball gloves, basketballs and empty lots to play in. Such sports were accessible and depended not so much on equipment or money as they did on active, physical bodies. Nowadays, the cost of maintaining a pro racing team is prohibitive, and the things needed to get started in the sport – experience racing on amateur circuits, cars, engines, etc. – keep most blacks from getting into it. Plus the sport just never caught on in black America, so there is no following and no push to try to get into it.

User Detail :  

Name : Gregory-H21594, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : law student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Madeline

African Americans have an involvment, though it is rather neglected, in pro motor sports. African Americans are more behind the scenes because no one will give African Americans a chance to actually be an active particpant.

User Detail :  

Name : Madeline, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Asthma, Race : Black/Cuban/Indian Mix, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Executive Secretary, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Theresa

One of the reasons could be that black kids play with what they have and what is around them, and often that type of automobile is not, so they don’t get involved with those types of sports. On the other hand, basketball and track are around them, so they are more apt to do them. Another factor may be that black people joke about how white people love to do exteme sports; they aren’t trying to die just to win an award.

User Detail :  

Name : Theresa, Gender : F, City : Columbus, State : GA Country : United States, 

Orland
    Participant

I think it has a lot to do with the amount of money it takes to participate. I know a few African Americans who participate in drag racing, and they all own repair shops. I think most of us participate in low-riding because of the recognition, and though it is expensive, it’s more practical for us to spend the money on a car that we can drive on the avenue.

User Detail :  

Name : Orland, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Paralyzed, Race : black/Indian, Age : 23, City : Wichita, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : operations executive, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shonda
    Participant

Though a lot of sport may be dangerous, in my book motor sports are another level of dangerous. In football, or even basketball, bones may become broken or sprained. Heck, the player(s) may even end up getting knocked out. But when it comes to sports where your surroundings can become a burning inferno, I think we decline. Physical sports seem to be more of what we are attracted to.

User Detail :  

Name : Shonda, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Muslim, Age : 26, City : My Town, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, 

WOE-GRIP
    Participant

MY OBSERVATION IS THAT BLACKS HAVE NO BACKING OR INVITATION TO JOIN IN NO CAPACITY.THE WHITES IN THIS SPORT ARE HAPPY WITH PLAYING WITH THEIR OWN AND LIKE IT THAT WAY.IT IS STORIES OF BLACKS WHO TRIED AND WAS RAN OFF FOR VARIOUS REASONS.I THINK SOMETHING FUNNY HAPPEN IN TRAGEDY WHEN DALE DIED.THEY COMPARED A WHITE GUY WHO IS VERY WELL KNOWN BY WHITES TO A GUY THAT IS VERY WELL KNOWN AROUND THE WORLD TO RELATE THE MAGNITUDE OF HIS NAME,BY SAYING DALE BEING KILLED WAS PARALLELEDTO A MICHAEL JORDAN BEING KILLED.OR EVEN DIANA. IS THIS BUILDING YOUR NAME OR TELLING OF A SPORT THAT ALL BUT WHITES ARE KEPT OUT.

User Detail :  

Name : WOE-GRIP, City : COLUMBIA, State : SC Country : United States, 

Tyler

To Madeline of Detroit: I feel you are making a generalization by saying that blacks are not given an equal opportunity to race. Just because large corporate sponsors won’t sponsor them in NASCAR doesn’t mean they can’t race. I think it’s just a lack of interest on the part of African Americans. Just because you don’t see blacks in NASCAR doesn’t mean they can’t race. Everyone has to start on a lower level of racing … even whites.

User Detail :  

Name : Tyler, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 17, City : David City, State : NE Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Cletus
    Participant

One reason that there are no blacks in this sport is that they never grew up around it at its beginning. When NASCAR started back in the ’40s it was more wealthy moonshine runners who had cars. Today, since blacks really had no roots in the beginning of racing, they tend to stay away from it.

User Detail :  

Name : Cletus, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Disability : Blind, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 18, City : Bald Knob, State : KY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.