African American First Generation College Student

Home Forums General Diversity African American First Generation College Student

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Rachel P.

What are some experiences and issues that first-generation African-American college students have faced?

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel P., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 24, City : Bowling Green, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Peter
    Participant

I am a first generation college student and my experience was pretty rough and awkward so far, although im only a sophmore. When i first arrived at my school (90% white) i was in a sort of a culture shock and had a terrible time adjusting to the rock and roll noise and ignorant classmates who virtually never spoken to a black person before. As for my family, my sisters never completed school and i grew up dirt poor. They complain that i dont come see them of the family often or im trying to be white because i tell them i have to study. Many kids can afford so much like computers and help, but i have trouble completing projects because i cant afford the materials. As i could go on and on, this is the bulk of my expeirnces so far.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.