Affairs of the workplace

Home Forums Occupation Affairs of the workplace

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Eric

Should a person have an affair with a person they work with, provided both know up front it is not a ‘power play’?

User Detail :  

Name : Eric, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : na Country : Canada, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Taz

‘affair’ as in ‘extra-marital affair’? No.

User Detail :  

Name : Taz, Gender : M, Age : 33, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Wayne24398
    Participant

First, do you mean an ‘affair’ (as in, one is married and wants to have an affair) or do you mean dating/attempting to have a relationship? I’ll assume you mean the latter. While some people would disagree, I think it’s OK. I’ve known many people who dated and even married their co-workers. I knew one couple that actually sat beside each other — not their choice, it just worked out that way. The critical issue is that their relationship doesn’t affect work issues. For instance, one should not report to the other, or even work in the same department or on the same projects, as this can result in biased decisions (which can happen anyway, but in this case everyone else may get very upset.)

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne24398, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 43, City : Parsippany, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dominic

If you intend on ruining your life for sex go ahead but if you value your current relationship stay away from it. I have done it twice and twice it has ended my marriages and left me feeling very empty I should have learned the first time but I did not and now I have many regrets. I hope you don’t.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominic, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Harleysville, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Busines owner, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

R Collum

Not a good idea. I owned a thriving manufacturing business for many years and began a relationship with my assistant. Least to say the business failed due to not being able to focus on the business and the others which needed my help. I consumed myself with after hours office sex and at one point even rented a hotel room. I believe it to be practically impossible to disassociate work place from affairs – leave it for someone else, someone you don’t need to spend 8 hours a day with. It takes 2 to tango, but don’t get your toes stepped on.

User Detail :  

Name : R Collum, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 47, City : Langely BC, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Consultant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Upper class, 

Bob C.

I have been involved in relationships at the workplace and had good and bad experiences. The first instance after a few months the relationship went bad and it became very uncomfortable at work because of bad feelings between us. It caused some tension at work when people we worked with ‘took sides’. But at the same time, at that workplace relationships/affairs were commonplace as was the tension when the relationships went bad. In the second instance I wound up marrying the woman and we enjoyed a great work relationship. We worked in different departments but frequently had to interact. Our co-workers were very happy and supportive for both of us. The bottom line, I think, is that one cannot control how they feel about another person. Whether or not to act upon those feelings requires trust and fairness on both parts.

User Detail :  

Name : Bob C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 56, City : Rolling Meadows, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : IT support, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike
    Participant

Based on past experience, I would strongly discourage it. You’re Upper middle class, so you’re probably in a professional job. There’s a good chance that you’ll co-workers and superiors uncomfortable enough to really jeopardize your job security. And when it breaks up one of you will want to leave the workplace.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 41, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.