Reply To: Express checkout abuse

Home Forums Occupation Express checkout abuse Reply To: Express checkout abuse

ex-cashier
Participant

There could be lots of reasons why a cashier would help a customer with more items than whatever the stated limit is. First, people make mistakes. When it’s busy and everyone just wants to get out of the store and on with their day, everyone looks for the shortest line. Sometimes you just don’t notice you are in the wrong line. Easy enough if your mind is on other things. Second, remember that the customer is always right. If I were to insist someone move to another line and they complain to management that I was rude, I risk getting chewed out by a manager. If I go ahead and take the customer, and another customer complains, the result for me is the same. It’s a no win situation sometimes. Third,most of the time I was too busy to stop and count the items in everyone’s cart, anyway. As long as the ‘offender’ doesn’t have a heaping cart-full it doesn’t take that much longer to ring up a couple more items unless you have a really bad cashier to begin with. But this is what most people never consider: when I was a cashier for a well-known dept. store, I was told that if my express lane was slow I should not only allow customers with a lot of items but I should actually try to get people waiting in other lines to come to me. (A lot of big stores do this.) Why should I just stand around, when I could be helping someone? Of course, it was inevitable there would be times when half way through ringing up a customer with a large order, a line would form behind him or her. And usually at the head of the line would be someone with no manners or any concept of courtesy. To me, a person who would chew me out for doing my job, or who had the audacity to make remarks in an attempt to embarrass another person in public is the one who deserved little courtesy.

User Detail :  

Name : ex-cashier, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 32, City : Louisville, State : KY Country : United States, Occupation : self-employed, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class,