Reply To: Reply To: Media double standards and hate crimes

DVT

The last response is one which only fans the flames, however logical it may seem; however understandable in light of the racial violence against blacks in our history, many white people only see a black man pointing that gun barrel at them. They can recall all the ‘bust a cap’ and ‘cop killer’ rap, and hateful (to them) black music, with all it’s vulgarities. And so, all the objective thinking goes out the window and it reads violence and blaming. Most people do not contemplate social history or dynamics when an aggressor is in their path. The incident took place 5 blocks from my home. It was done by a loner; a Black man who just irrationally blow his top one morning, and went out with a gun and selectively shot whites only. 3 died and several serious injuries. In the beginning the question of it being a hate crime was looked at and mentioned in the media. But not much was said about it after the initial reports. The media overdramatized the whole thing, then, it disappeared from the radar. Now he has been given a court date. The media only showed us interviews of people who said what they wanted us to hear obviously, mostly all blacks. And as the other responder says, i think, probably to avoid justifying retaliation or feeding neonazi fantasies. I don’t know really why it was not prosecuted as a hate crime legally.But if a gun’s pointing at me because I’m white, I’m not going to contemplate much sympathy for that man’s race, plight or anyone who rationalizes murder.

User Detail :  

Name : DVT, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : not employed, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class,