Reply To: Lost in the translation

Home Forums Geography Lost in the translation Reply To: Lost in the translation

Gidday. I’m a New Zealander, but Australia and New Zealand’s slang is often similar so I feel qualified to reply. I’ve known for sometime that the term ‘spunk’ means something different in England, i.e. semen. But ‘spunk’ is a commonly known and accepted term for (male) ‘good looker’ in Australia and New Zealand so I also use the term as it’s commonly used here. I don’t know how commonly known the English meaning is ‘down under’. The term ‘fanny’ means the same in New Zealand as it does in England, we also laugh/gasp/growl when we hear Americans use the term. I think it means the same in Australia as it does in England. I think the term ‘fanny’ used to refer to the backside is an American usage. I have an example of how strangely diverse regional slang can be. In Australia to call someone a ‘dag’ (an unpleasant person) is a serious insult, but in New Zealand to call someone a ‘dag’ (a funny, fun person) is quite a complement. Slang’s a funny thing isn’t it?

User Detail :  

Name : Trust no manager, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 35, City : Wellington, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Occupation : Librarian, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class,