Reply To: Why are most of my countrymen such jerks?

Home Forums Geography Why are most of my countrymen such jerks? Reply To: Why are most of my countrymen such jerks?

Maria22233
Participant

I’ve noticed the same thing. As a South American living in the United Kingdom, I sometimes feel deeply depressed with the unfriendliness of the people. If I leave this country it will be for this reason alone. Not even the weather is so unwelcoming. I’ve been living in a small British city for the past four years. I still don’t have close friends in this country. I keep trying to make friends, but it is hard. Brits really like to keep to themselves. Because this is not my country and the people are not my countrymen, I try to follow conventions. But I know sometimes my behavior is inappropriate according to British standards. And I feel my attempts to make friends are met with a lot of suspicion.

Please don’t take me wrong. I like many things about Britain; otherwise I would not live in this county. Of course I know many Brits who are kind people; most are. But they are just that: kind neighbors or acquaintances. They are not my friends and couldn’t care less about me. Or if they care, they surely know how to hide it.

Everywhere I go I find people to be friendlier than Brits. Even travelling in France without speaking a word of the language, I found the warmth and friendliness that I don’t find in Britain. I’ve lived in the United States for a couple of years, and the people were absolutely great. I totally agree with you about North Americans being friendlier than Brits.

User Detail :  

Name : Maria22233, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 37, City : A small British city, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Software developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,