Reply To: Reply To: Why do black people avoid swimming?

K. Lynn

At my sisters’ high school swimming was a phys. ed. requirement. At the time my sisters’ school was somewhere around 40 percent black. ALL of them, including my sisters, learned how to swim. Swimming was also a requirement at my mother’s high school some 40 years before. She too learned how to swim. My father and I each learned how to swim as adults, at our local Y. To this day I enjoy swimming and I know several other black people who enjoy it as well. But I have had one white man act surprised when I told him I know how to swim…he said, ‘I thought black people couldn’t swim.’ Ignorant! Oh, and one more thing regarding black women and hair: We DO have wash-and-go hair…it’s just that most of us straighten it to death so that it’ll fit into the Euro-American beauty standard. But that’s a whole other thread…

User Detail :  

Name : K. Lynn, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,