Reply To: Positively challenged about religion

Home Forums Religion Positively challenged about religion Reply To: Positively challenged about religion

Cheyenne

As a former Atheist myself (currently Agnostic), I cannot agree with you more that religion has been the source of untold suffering throughout the ages. With that said, I cannot deny that religion has been used for exorbitant amounts of good in the world as well. It has to do more with the people who APPLY that faith, what they wish to accomplish with it. My first thought goes to Martin Luther King Jr., who used his faith to drag America kicking and screaming into the 20th century in regards to race relations. Catholic Charities comes to mind as a resource fighting poverty. Spirituality has also helped cultures with temperance, prevented them from descending into the proverbial ‘dens of iniquity’ that seek out the shallow pleasures of the flesh instead of striving for a higher calling in one’s life. Religion keeps people ‘in line’, thinking that there will be a final judgement of their actions postmortem. Faith also gives one hope that there is something more to this life than meets the eye, essentially giving them something to ‘live for’. Some scholars theorize that the biblical Godless cities of Sodom and Gemmorah destroyed themselves through negligence, since everyone was too preoccupied with themselves to keep the place up. Just like a police officer who rescues a child from a burning building can be the same person who unjustly arrests a homeless man for vagrancy, religion seems to be schitzophrenic in it’s application (if not hypocritical in it’s purpose). Some beliefs and practices boggle the mind, but as a free and open culture we must allow them to believe what they wish, as we would hope they extend that same courtesy to us (a.k.a. the Golden Rule)

User Detail :  

Name : Cheyenne, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 32, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : airport shuttle driver, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class,