Reply To: Is “white” OK?

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Is “white” OK? Reply To: Is “white” OK?

Lucy22420
Participant

No matter which term a person uses to describe the race or ethnicity of another person somebody somewhere will get offended. I say ‘Get over it.’ So technically speaking the term Anglo does not refer to Germans, but big deal. We all know that when someone says ‘Anglo’ they mean white folks. And some white people don’t like the term ‘white’. They would rather be called European Americans or Caucasian. White, Anglo, black, African American, people of color, colored people, Mexican, Mexican American, Hispanic, Chicano, Latino, Asian, Oriental, Amerasian… The list goes on and on and I bet I can find someone who takes offense to each of those terms. All this discussion and taking offense to labels does nothing to address any issues we may have involving race or ethnicity. All it does is make people afraid to talk about the issues or even refer to another person’s ethnicity because they are afraid of offending someone. So let’s stop getting offended by things that make no material difference in our lives and move on.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22420, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,