Reply To: OK to confess your fear of someone different?

Home Forums General Diversity OK to confess your fear of someone different? Reply To: OK to confess your fear of someone different?

Jennifer

I praise ACC’s magnanimous response. I wish I felt similarly. In my mind I know that his response is the most constructive, but as a black person who has frequently been confronted with white people who don’t have much experience, if any, with people of my ethnicity, I have a hard time carrying the logic through to my emotional response. I understand that everyone is curious and wary about concepts that are new to them, and that everyone has prejudices. However, when *I* am in the same position as the ‘Newfie’ woman, I work hard to be very careful of how I bring my curiousity and wariness to the attention of the object. I expect the same from anyone for whom meeting me is a new experience. It’s fine, in my opinion, to ask questions about someone’s culture or experiences, but I resent being put in the position to defend my differentness, to reassure someone that i’m ‘okay’. I prefer not to hear what the uninformed suspect about people who look like me, or how strange it is to be around me. I prefer that they grapple with all of that in silence, or outside of my presence, do some research on my general culture on their own, use experience of me as an individual to form opinions about me as an individual and *not* as a representative of a monolith, and *then* ask intelligent, well-thought out questions.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : St. Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Non-Profit, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,