Reply To: Welfare

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Welfare Reply To: Welfare

I don’t think the general perception of welfare recipients is any different based on race. There is no more credibility to the notion that all black welfare recipients are ‘milking the system’ than there is credibility to the notion that all white welfare recipients are ‘slack-jawed yokels.’ I think the majority of people who have an opinion would say that anyone who stays on the dole for an extended period is ‘milking the system,’ regardless of the color of their skin. Perhaps your perception is influenced by a sense of embarrassment toward those blacks who do milk the system. Perhaps you bristle at the perception (however misguided) that anyone might harbor about others of your race. I feel that same sense of embarrassment regarding those ‘redneck white trash’-types who have no desire to get a job and stop collecting welfare. The whole mindset may be associated with the fact that we more identify with people who look like we do, and when ‘one of our people’ does things of which we do not approve, we are more critical of them.

User Detail :  

Name : High Commander, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class,