Reply To: Reply To: Why choose homosexuality?

Barb

I’m always glad to have a chance to respond to this question because it provides an opportunity to address a widely held misconception. I think the term ‘homosexual lifestyle’ or ‘gay lifestyle’ needs to be addressed every time it is used because it implies free choice of one’s orientation since one can generally choose a ‘lifestyle.’ Digressing a moment on THAT, I must ask….so what if sexual orientation is a choice! In my experience, it isn’t, but if it were, why shouldn’t I be permitted choice in who I love and wish to share my life with? Why should my choice in such a deeply personal matter be limited to persons only of the opposite sex? What legitimate interest does the state have in such matters? Objections to same sex relationships come primarily, and certainly most forcefully, from the religious right. Yet….ours is not, or is not supposed to be, a theocracy! Back to the ‘lifestyle’ issue….please, Michael, describe a typical ‘heterosexual lifestyle,’ and clearly deliniate how that differs in any material way from the typical ‘lifestyle’ of GLBT people beyond those behaviors specifically related to/caused by living as a target of hate and discrimination.

User Detail :  

Name : Barb, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 59, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Social Work, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,