Reply To: Same-sex marriage: why not?

Home Forums Sexual Orientation Same-sex marriage: why not? Reply To: Same-sex marriage: why not?

Holly

I have struggled to understand why society has any place deciding whom can marry whom. I think that basically we are still operating under an outdated judeo-christian paradigm (at least we don’t have dowrys anymore…or do we?) I think that at some point in human societal evolution it was very important to the survival of a village that many strong backs be born; therefore marriage between man and woman would be encouraged if not required. I mean- we all know everyone would go gay if given a choice ;). We do not have that same need now. In fact, the world is facing the exponentially increasing problem of overpopulation. People tout ‘family values’ to justify a violation of the basic civil rights of gay persons but at the core of the argument this is not about family values. This is about religion rearing its blind head in what should be a secular society. Homosexuality is seen in almost every phyla known to science; in fact, some behavioral scientists are starting to think that homosexuality is GOOD (in a survival sense) for societies. It means we have more mother’s helpers running around. They say love is blind. If a gay couple want to enjoy all of the same responsibilities and freedoms as heterosexuals, why not? Rather than using vaginal conception to acquire their children they could serve in a much needed social function by adopting all the kids those heterosexuals abandoneed!

User Detail :  

Name : Holly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : Durham, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student/woodworker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class,