Reply To: Blacks and tanning

Home Forums Race/Ethnicity Blacks and tanning Reply To: Blacks and tanning

Raquel

All people tan, but some do it quicker than others. Also, it’s not only about getting darker skin. There are health benefits. I am a darker-skinned black female and love to tan in moderation. It’s not necessary to be afraid of the sun, just use it with moderation. Vitamin D is a necessary hormone that our bodies produce only when the sun’s rays penetrate our skin. Many people are lacking in vitamin D, but nearly half of our black women are vitamin-D deficient. Many foods do not have vitamin D, and most black women don’t take supplements. Do your research. We need to stop associating things with ‘being white.’ It’s not about that. It’s about enjoying life. Tans on blacks are equally as beautiful. I get compliments on mine all the time. We tend to look at dark skin as a negative. The sun gives your skin this healthy glow, and it truly is therapeutic in cases of depression or Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). But we African Americanss have more melanin in our ski, and we need more sun in order to produce the same amount of vitamin D that whites do (that’s why whites are so fair-skinned up North — their skin has adapted to make it easier to soak in those rays up there where there’s less direct sunlight. Whites need about 15 minutes a day of direct sunlight, whereas darker-skinned blacks need about an hour. The vitamin D can prevent many diseases later in life. So get your adequate levels of vitamin D first, then use sunscreen for protection. Open your minds and try something new. In fact, spend about 20 minutes in the sun just letting your body soak up some rays and see how good you feel the rest of the day. But research it yourself. If you’re as fortunate as I am, you can get your rays at your local beach. That’s a double-luxury with the negative ions that are released from the crashing waves. Love and respect your body, the sun and the skin you were given. It’s a gift, not a curse.

User Detail :  

Name : Raquel, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class,